|Fort Kuivasaari belongs to Finland and located on a Kuivasaari island in the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic sea. It has strategic position near a Helsinki - capital city of Finland. |
Word "kuivasaari" means - dry island. Good joke because the island is very rare to dry from a rain. Fortunately it was a rain break during our visit there so picture above is clear.
A first who started to fortify Kuivasaari was Russians because till early of 20-ty century the Finland was part of the Russian Empire. A Russians built at the Kuivasaari heavy coast artillery battery included 4 guns of 10-inch caliber. These guns were delivered by rail in September of 1914 from Vladivostok city (located at the Nord of Russia). The guns were officially activated in 1915 and battery was named "No. 44". In 1917 the Finland got independence and a Russians left the country and also the Kuivasaari. The battery had been in service by Finland till early 1930's when it was deactivated.