|USCGC TANEY (WHEC-37) was constructed at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1935-36 as one of seven Treasury/Secretary Class cutters produced for the US Coast Guard before World War II. Home ported in Honolulu, Hawaii beginning in 1937, TANEY was attached to Destroyer Division 80 in the summer of 1941 and was in action against Japanese planes during the Pearl Harbor Attack. By virtue of her 50 year career, she is the last surviving warship afloat today from the 7 December 1941 Japanese attack on Hawaii.|
At sea for 80 of the first 90 days of war, TANEY carried out anti-submarine patrols off Hawaii, and later served as a convoy escort in the Pacific through 1943. Following a major refit, the cutter was transferred to the Atlantic in 1944 where she served as flagship for Task Force 66, US Atlantic Fleet while escorting six convoys between the East Coast of the US and North Africa. On 20 April 1944, TANEY helped fight off a German torpedo bomber attack on Convoy UGS 38 off Algiers. In 1945, after conversion to an Amphibious Command Ship (AGC), TANEY served as flagship for RADM Calvin Cobb, USN, during the battle of Okinawa. In the course of the campaign, the ship was credited with downing four Japanese Kamikazes and one “Betty” bomber.
Known as “The Queen of the Pacific,” TANEY was home ported in Alameda, CA, from 1946 to 1972 carrying out ocean weather patrol, law enforcement and search and rescue duties. During 1969-70, the cutter was assigned to Coast Guard Squadron III off South Vietnam where she helped interdict the flow of arms along the coast, fired over 3400 rounds of 5/38 ammunition in naval gunfire support missions, and provided medical assistance to over 5,000 South Vietnamese civilians.
Transferred to Little Creek, and later Portsmouth, VA, in 1972, TANEY completed the last Coast Guard ocean weather patrol in 1977, and for the next nine years carried out search and rescue duties, fisheries patrols, training cruises for the Coast Guard Academy, and drug interdiction in the Caribbean. In one 1985 drug bust TANEY seized a record 160 tons of marijuana. Decommissioned on 7 December 1986, she is displayed in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor along with USS TORSK and Lightship 116.