|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, water battery has also been called Fort San Carlos, separately.
Spanning a multi-century history, the U.S. Army deactivated Fort Barrancas on April 15, 1947, and after restoration during 1971-1980, Fort Barrancas was opened to the public.