|RAF Warmwell today has been mostly consumed by a gravel extraction operation, although two Bellman Hangars are still in use for fertiliser storage. The Control Tower has been converted into a dwelling and thus many would pass it by without knowing of its former history. Another airfield building has been in use for many years as the village hall. RAF Warmwell was formerly known as Woodsford, the name being changed during the war due to there being several other military airfields with similar sounding names. A memorial to RAF Warmwell is situated on the edge of the Crossways residential estate, which was originally part of the airfield. A number of the roads around the housing estate having been named after the aircraft and pilots that were stationed at RAF Warmwell. |
A type of temporary transportable aircraft hangar designed in 1936 by N.S. Bellman. It was designed for ease of installation, and was composed of light rolled steel sections.