|Standing on the commune of Silhac, the castle of Hautvillard would have been built at the end of the XIIth century, in a wooded hill, widely opened southward.|
This building has the rare merit to have reached us intact. It was a part of a defensive trio with the castle of Tourette and that of Vausèche.
Two towers flank the south facade which looks towards Saint-Michel-de-Chabrillanoux: the narrowest is surmounted by machicolation, as well as the square keep which ends the main building.
During the centuries, this house will lose its defensive function, but will keep its massive aspect.
According to Pierre Charrie (topographic Dictionary of the department of Ardèche-Librairie Guenegaud, Paris-1979), the first known Lord would be Hugues de Hautvillard, in 1173.
In 1468, Claude de Hautvillard pays tribute for the castle to the count of Valentinois, as well as to the Abbot of Saint-Barnard of Romans.
This name continues ceaselessly until 1655, dates in which the feoff passes to the family Apchier de Vabres, then, in 1797, to the Falcon de Longevialle who do not seem to have lived permanently in the castle.
The date of the transfer of the castle is uncertain. By 1890, the chapel, dedicated to N.-D. of the Mount-Carmel, was destroyed. Here was standing the burial of Hautvillard since Henri IV era.
The vault was filled and materials reused in farm buildings.
Nowadays, the former barns of the castle have been turned into a holiday cottage in the country.