|Been attested from 1309 (quoted in 1384 under the name of "Heremus"), the jurisdiction of Herm is held by several co-Lords of whom Hugues de l'Herm, till the end of the XVth. It becomes then property of the Calvimont family. |
The current castle is built between 1480 and 1512 by Jean III de Calvimont, member of the parliament of Bordeaux.
The history of this castle is marked by a long series of crimes. In 1605, Jean III de Calvimont was killed with his daughter Marguerite by his son-in-law, Franšois d' Aubusson, who remarried immediately with Marie de Hautefort. This couple will commit about ten murders.
Following a lawsuit it fell, in 1682, in the domain of the marquesses of Hautefort, who forgot it and let it fall into decay.
Eugene Le Roy will choose this castle as frame of his novel " Jacquou le Croquant ".
Opened again to the public since 1998, this castle is now the object of historic search and archaeological excavations.