|Some time during the years 1939-1940 the lease to this small tract of land ran out. Negotiations were started for the acquisition of about 7,000 acres of land surrounding the Ewa mooring mast. The idea was to divide the land in such a way as to make part of it into an emergency landing field, and the remainder into a bombing range. This didn't happen but eventually 3,500 acres was acquired. |
The land was then built into two stations, the Naval Air Station Barber's Point, the larger, and the Marine Corps Air Station, Ewa, the smaller.
On July 12, 1940 an order was received from the Pacific Naval Air Bases for a survey of the land and investigation for a fresh water source. Preliminary plans for NAS Barber's Point were issued in October 1941. Field work started in November 1941 and the station was established on April 14, 1942. It is believed that there was emergency use of the landing strip of the Ewa Mooring Mast field, before the Marine Corps Air Station was officially established on September 1, 1942 and the NAS Barber's Point was actually commissioned on April 15, 1942.
The original layout for Barber's Point was prepared by the design section of the 14th Naval District Public Works Department. At the outbreak of World War II, work had only just begun on the NAS; all work was halted and every effort was expended to make the Ewa field as operational and extensive as possible due to the scarcity of some building materials.