|1930, Site purchased by de Havilland, factory and offices built 1934 producing Dragon, Tiger Moth, Rapide and Dominie aircraft. |
de Havilland flying school trained civilian and RAF pilots with Tiger Moths. Became No.1 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, renamed No.1 Elementary Flying Training School 9.39, moved to Panshanger 06.41.
25.11.40, The first flight of the Mosquito, built here from 1941 to 1945.
1940 to 1942, No.5 Ferry Pilot Pool, ATA. Amy Johnson was based here until here last flight from Squires Gate.
12.42 - 01.43, Hatfield was the scene of the double cross sabotage raid by Nazi secret agent 'Zigzag'. Eddie Chapman, a famous pre-war safe cracker made his spoof 'attack' on the power house 29.01.43.
Postwar the new runway was built 1947 and the Comet flight test hangar was built 1952-54. The hangar was the largest aluminium building in the world (measuring 200 by 330 feet with doors 45 feet high) with integral offices and fire station.
1960, de Havilland merged with Hawker Siddeley Group.
1977, Hawker Siddeley, British Aircraft Corporation and Scottish Aviation merged to become British Aerospace.