|Experimental Aircraft Association|
Serial #: 44-85740
Construction #: 8649 (-VE)
Civil Registration: N5017N
B-17G-105-VE, 44-85740 was built by the Vega Division of Lockheed Aircraft Company and delivered to the U.S. Army Air Corps on 18 May 1945, too late to serve in Europe where most B-17s were destined. Declared surplus and initially stored in New York, the aircraft was sent to Altus, Oklahoma on 7 November 1945 where, stripped of all military equipment, it was sold as "scrap" for $750 in 1946 to Metal Products. The aircraft was rescued from its fate when resold shortly after to Universal Aviation, for use as an aerial mapping platform, acquiring civil registration N5017N.