|The first light in 1868 at this location was a light lit on the beach by Hans Martin Hanson. Hanson had purchased acres here and was concerned about ship safety.|
The first official light established by the Lighthouse Service in 1887, was a brass kerosene lantern hung from a post on the side of a barn. Hanson was hired to care for the light and was paid $15 a month for his efforts.
The present structure was built in 1913. On June 1, 1913, the light went into service.