Colonia Ulpia Traiana, Xanten was after Cologne the largest roman town in Germania Inferior. During the first three centuries about 10000 people lived within its walls. The town was situated on the river Rhine which was the eastern frontier of the roman empire.
AN unexpected historical discovery has been made at Scottish Water's site at Glencorse, near Penicuik — a Roman marching camp nearly 2000 years old.
The revelation has provided another clue as to how the Romans organised their occupation of the Lothians.
The Chełmno extermination camp (German name Kulmhof) was an extermination camp of Nazi Germany that was situated 70 kilometres (43 mi) from Łódź, near a small village called Chełmno nad Nerem (Kulmhof an der Nehr, in German). This was in a part of Poland annexed by Germany as Reichsgau Wartheland in 1939. It was the first extermination camp, opened in 1941 to kill the Jews o...
A reconnaissance picture of the concentration camp Dachau near Munich made during WWII.
In total, over 200,000 prisoners from more than 30 countries were housed in Dachau. Beginning in 1941, Dachau was also used for extermination purposes. Camp records list 30,000 persons killed in the camp, with thousands more who died due to the conditions in the camp. In early 1945, there was ...
These two magnificent Roman monuments are important examples of Hispan Roman architecture. There are located in the Spanish city of Merida (in Latin: Emerita Augusta). Despite it seems incredible, this ancient Theatre is used today as a common theatre.
The fortress Kalemegdan has a very long history, going back at least to the castrum of Roman times; destroyed several times by successive waves of invaders, it was rebuilt as a castle by the Byzantines in the 12th century.
Ravensbrück was a notorious women's concentration camp during in World War II, located in northern Germany, 90 km north of Berlin at a site near the village of Ravensbrück (part of Fürstenberg/Havel). Construction of the camp began in November 1938 by SS leader Heinrich Himmler and was unusual in that it was a camp primarily for women. The camp opened in May 1939. In the spring of 1941, the SS ...
Alchester is the Anglo-Saxon and modern name for a small town in the Roman province of Britannia. Its name in Latin is unknown. It is located two miles south of Bicester, in the northwest corner of the civil parish of Wendlebury in the English county of Oxfordshire. There is also an adjoining Roman military camp.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.