The 'Fort Napoleon' in Oostende is the only still completely intact Napoleonic fortress left in Europe. The 'Fort' stands in the dunes north of the city center. In 1810 Napoleon Bonaparte, then Emperor of France, had it constructed during the French occupation of Belgium. Five hundred Spanish prisoners of war had to build it together with bricklayers from the Oostende area. The fort was finishe...
The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.
Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida.
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
Fort McHenry, the star fort that protected Baltimore in the War of 1812. Francis Scott Key, while watching the bombardment of this fort from a British ship, wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the flag flying at this fort.
Fort Stanwix was a colonial fort erected in 1758 by British General John Stanwix, at the location of present-day Rome, New York. The fort guarded a portage known as the Oneida Carrying Place during the French and Indian War. A reconstructed fort has been built at the site by the National Park Service, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument lies in the center of the modern city.
Built in 1841, Fort Mont-Valérien was a prison at Suresnes, near Paris, that served as the site for Nazi executions during the German occupation of France (1940-1944) in World War II. It overlooks the Bois de Boulogne and Paris.
Fan Lau Fort can be dated to 1729. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 21m by 46m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. The fort was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
Fort Warren defended the harbor at Boston, Massachusetts, for over 100 years. onstruction of the penatagonal-shaped granite fort began in 1833 and was fully completed shortly after the Civil War. Today, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation maintains the fort. An estimated 100,000 tourists visit the fort each year.
A pentagonal brick fort with both inner and outer walls, Fort Clinch lies to the northeast of Fernandina Beach at the entrance to the Cumberland Sound. The fort was briefly re-activated in 1898 for the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the State of Florida bought 256 acres that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. The park opened to the public in 1938.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.