|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Upnor Castle is an Elizabethan artillery fort located in the village of Upnor, Kent, England. Its purpose was to defend ships moored "in ordinary" on the River Medway outside Chatham dockyards. |
The property is owned by English Heritage and managed by Medway Council.
|High Resolution satellite image and a map of Chatham island, Pacific Ocean, near New Zealand. Includes a site with information about Chatham. It is the most distant piece of land from Europe.||03/18/2006||862|
|Built 500 metres off the isle of Grain, Kent, UK.|
Originally completed in 1855 and is similar in construction to other Martello towers that can be found around the Kent coast.
The tower was modified in 1910 with the addition of 4.7" quick fire guns to protect ships moored at Sheerness or Chatham from high speed torpedo boats.
The guns were removed in 1929 an...
|H.M. Submarine Ocelot was the last warship built for the Royal Navy at Chatham and served the Royal Navy during the Cold War she was a Diesel / Electric submarine HMS Cavalier The Royal Navyís last operational Second World War destroyer, HMS Cavalier was built in 1944 and served with the Home Fleet, in the Western Approaches and with the British Pacific Fleet until 1946. Awarded the ĎArctic 194...||02/13/2006||525|
|RAF Swingfield is a former Royal Air Force station located 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north west of Dover, Kent and 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of Aylesham, Kent. The airfield was operational between February 1917 and 28 April 1945.|
|Sandgate Castle was one of Henry VIII's Device Forts. Built in 1539 near Sandgate, Kent, its exposed location has led to much damage by storm tides. Converted to a Martello Tower in the early 1800s, it is now in private ownership.||10/15/2005||345|
|The site of a minefield which formed part of the beach defences at The Rushy Green, Crantock. The former position of the anti-tank mines can be seen as a series of parallel rows of small mounds following their removal at the end of the war. ||12/08/2009||419|
|The first stone defences in Plymouth were those of the 15th century Plymouth Castle of which only a very small part of one tower remains near the Citadel. Previous to this the main local defences were at Plympton, but the importance of this castle faded as the River Plym silted up.|
In the first half of the 16th century six blockhouses were built along the shore. A fort was constr...
|Gravesend Airport, located 5.0 miles (8.0 km) south-east of Gravesend town centre, Kent and 7.0 miles (11.3 km) west of Gillingham, Kent. It was operated from 1932 until 1956. It was initially a civil airfield, and became a Royal Air Force station known as RAF Gravesend during the Second World War, when it was under the control of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain. It was the ...||09/08/2014||54|
|RAF Manston was an RAF station in the north-east of Kent, at grid reference TR334663 on the Isle of Thanet from 1916 until 1996. The site is now split between a commercial airport Kent International Airport (KIA) and a continuing military use by the Defence Fire Training and Development Centre (DFTDC), following on from a long standing training facility for RAF firefighters at the Manston base....||09/09/2014||63|
|Royal Air Force Station Hawkinge or more simply RAF Hawkinge is a former Royal Air Force station located 2.2 miles (3.5 km) north of Folkestone, Kent and 7.1 miles (11.4 km) west of Dover, Kent. The airfield was used by both the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Air Force during its lifetime and was involved during the Battle of Britain as well other important aerial battles during the Second Wo...||09/06/2014||49|
|Originally a farmhouse built in the 13th century, Hever Castle in Kent was the seat of the Boleyn family. It was converted into a manor in 1462 by Geoffrey Boleyn, who served as Lord Mayor of London. King Henry VIII's wife Anne Boleyn, although probably not born here, did grow up here for a time. After Anne was executed and her father died the castle came into the possession of Henry VIII wh...||02/04/2006||563|