In 1221, the first castle of Montmédy has been built on top of a hill by Lord de Chiny. Montmédy became soon the capital of his territory - later it belonged to Luxemburg, Burgundy, Austria and Spain.
The original castle was replaced with a fortress by Karl V in the 16th century. After Marville and Stenay had been occupied by the French, 30,000 soldiers, including King Louis XIV, attacke...
1940 Maginot line forts and bunkers implementation sector by sector (exception for Sarre sector still incomplete).
All names are in French.
Updated: 12.10.06 This is a fully reorganized file to allow permanent external update without reloading the KMZ each time.
This fortress is still proudly standing in the middle of the city. The building was started by duke William the conqueror (probably in 1060) and was continued by his sons Henri 1er and Henri II until 1120.
It has survived to 1944 heavy bombing and shelling during the Normandy battle which smashed the town to the ground.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.