|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Commarque is a XIIth, XIVth, and XVth centuries castle. Built on the troglodytic remains of a fort dating probably IXth or Xth, the fortress of the XIIth was protected by two ditches and a double enclosure. We reached it by two successive drawbridges beaten by chatelets.|
The first enclosure contained lodging houses for soldiers, magazines and outbuildings. The second protects the...
|The construction of the castle of Fayrac, encircled with a double enclosure, began in XIIIth century. |
It was an English forward position in the Hundred Years War, built to watch over Beynac, on the opposite bank, where the French were holed up.
There are two lodging houses: one of the end of the XVIth century, other one of the Renaissance with all slated pepper-p...
|The castle of Montfort, situated on the municipality of Vitrac overhangs the Dordogne and, as for the castle of Beynac, the sight is better of the very river where from we can appreciate the overhang on which stands this fortress. This magnificent castle which dominates Montfort bluff sits down literally on a rocky projection every nook of which it follows.|
It was besieged and de...
|Perched with hillside on left bank of the Dordogne, Castelnaud dominates the small borough coiled with its feet. Its former owners, vassal of kings of England, opposed a long time to their neighbors, the lords de Beynac, faithful to kings de France. If the protagonists of these remote quarrels have all disappeared, the two fortresses always continue their immutable face to face, like a mineral ...||12/28/2005||240|
|The Castle Neideck was first mentioned in 1219|
It was one of the biggest German castle complexes in that time.
On September the 14th in 1347, the lord of the castle, Konrad von Schluesselberg, was killed by an enemy and teh castle was destoyed
Today it is one of the most familiar emblems of the Frankonian Switzerland
|Kaunas Castle is considered the oldest castle in Lithuania. About a third of the castle survives today.|
Info provided by McMaster:
Kaunas Castle is located in Kaunas, Lithuania. Archeological evidence suggests that it was originally built during the mid-14th century, in the Gothic style. Its site is strategic – a rise on the banks of the Nemunas River near its confluence with...
|Dating from 1299, this Medieval castle and Royal Residence developed into a fortress in 1592 after which it was rebuilt into a renaissance castle 1637-1648. Here you can see magnificent halls, the Castle church, the Royal Mausoleum and models of the castle. Government's Reception Rooms and Banqueting Halls. ||08/06/2005||624|
|The castle Linn is a water castle in the Krefelder quarter Linn. First, there was only one tower in the 12. century. To in 14. Century the castle was continuously extended. In the year 1702 the castle was completely destroyed by Prussian troops.||07/29/2006||502|
|Olavinlinna (known as Olofsborg in Swedish, which is St. Olaf's Castle in English) is a 15th century castle located in Savonlinna, Finland. It is the world's most northern medieval stone castle. It was founded by Erik Axelsson Tott in 1475 under the name Sankt Olofsborg as an effort to protect Savonia and control the unstable border between the Kingdom of Sweden and its Russian adversary. The c...||02/03/2007||723|
|Sønderborg Castle is a Baroque four-wing palace and home of the Sønderborg Castle Museum. The castle is renowned for being the prison of the former King Christian II, who after his dethronement was held prisoner of state here for 17 years.||03/11/2007||503|
|The castle of the Madeleine, located on the heights of Chevreuse, offers a superb panorama on the valley of the Yvette. Splendid fortress, it was built between XIe and XIVe century. The House of the Park was built inside the enclosure of the Castle. In the cellars of the castle, an exposure "Life of castle" recalls the history of the fortress.|
|Malmöhus Castle is the oldest remaining renaissance castle in Scandinavia and was originally built as a citadel in 1434 by Eric of Pomerania. The castle was completed in the sixteenth century. In the 16th and 17th centuries it served as a royal residence for the Danish kings.||11/28/2005||511|