|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|German dragon teeth's (H÷ckerlinie) at IJmuiden.||08/29/2009||232|
|Fort Liedot was built in 1810 by Napoleon the first to protect the Island of Aix from invaders. The island of Aix is between the Islands of Oleron and Re. Very close to "Island of Aix" is the famous fort "Fort Boyard". ||02/04/2007||364|
|12 Venturas dispatched to Ijmuiden steelworks, 12 Bostons to Abbeville airfields and 7 Mosquitos to railway targets at Mons and Rouen. ||02/14/2007||518|
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||693|
|Western end of the Island, first built up in 1898-99 as a defensive position protecting Long Island Sound and armed with two 12 inch and two 10 inch "rifles" on disappearing carriages. |
Operational during WW2 with a small airfield. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie which were sub-posts, and Camp Hero. Closed in the late 1950s and sold to private interests.
|M.K.B. Wijk was one of the coastal batteries of Festung Ijmuiden. There are still a M 473a (Firecontrolpost for 17cm battery) and four 671 (Artillery casemate). Unfortunately they are not accessible.||09/27/2006||503|
|Fort Warren defended the harbor at Boston, Massachusetts, for over 100 years. onstruction of the penatagonal-shaped granite fort began in 1833 and was fully completed shortly after the Civil War. Today, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation maintains the fort. An estimated 100,000 tourists visit the fort each year.||10/22/2005||500|
|Originally built as a fort to protect Long Island Sound and New York City during the Spanish-American War, it was in service until 1949 when it was then turned over to the AMNH. Most of the original buildings on this 17-acre island are overrun by bittersweet. A concrete 3-story observation tower, 3-room research building still remain.||04/22/2007||1,119|
|Fort Oranje was built after the Treaty of Paris in 1816 to protect the Dutch colony's burgeoning salt trade. It was used as the residence of the island's governor until 1836, when it briefly became a prison. A lighthouse was then constructed as salt production and subsequently seaborne traffic to the island increased. Now the fort serves as the office for the harbourmaster. ||04/03/2007||295|
|"Castle Island" is a 22 acre (89,000 m▓) major recreation site located in South Boston on Boston Harbor, owned by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. First named Fort William by the British, it was renamed Fort Independence by Americans in 1779 and is one of the oldest fortified sites in British North America. Long recognized for its stategic location, the fort helped p...||04/27/2006||508|
|Fort Charles is an old British fort on the island of St. Kitts. It's capture by the French was the reason for the construction of the more famous Brimstone Hill Fortress, which overlooks it. |
The fort today is not in good shape. It was abandoned by the British in 1854, and used from 1890 to 1996 as a Leper colony. Since then, it has been completely abandoned and is overgrown with...
|Fort Segarra is an underground fort, part of the United States' defense strategies during World War II. Its purpose was to help protect a submarine base on St. Thomas. The war ended before its completion and the project was subsequently abandoned. Visitors to Water Island can view gun emplacements, walk inside tunnels and visit underground rooms. The observation deck on the roof of the fort off...||04/19/2007||757|