|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Spitbank Fort was a Royal Commission fort built between 1867 and 1878, the smallest of the 3 main forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England. It is 162 feet across, with 1 floor and a basement, and armour plating only on the seaward side. It was originally planned to have armed with 9 10" eighteen ton RML guns on the seaward side, and 6 7" seven ton RML guns on the landward side. In fact 12.5"...||03/04/2006||324|
|This is a collection with only white hillfigure horses. You can see 20 white horses in 19 locatoins, 8 Wiltshire white horses, 7 Non-Wiltshire white horses and 4 white horses outside the UK. Please load the last file that is the up-to-date one.|
Alton Barnes white horse (1)
Broad Town white horse (1)
Cleadon Hills white horse (2)
Cherhill white horse (1)
|Colbert, the naval minister of Louis XIV decided in 1666 to build a major naval shipyard and arsenal in Rochefort, leading to a complete overhaul of the coastal fortifications of the Aunis county.|
Among these fortifications, it was decided to build a fort at the headland of the Chapus near the village of Bourcefranc. This fort had the task of preventing any naval circumvallation...
|Horse Guards is a large building in the Palladian style between Whitehall and Horse Guards Parade. It was built between 1751-1753 by John Vardy to a design by William Kent. The building was constructed on the site of the Guard House of the old Whitehall Palace, which had been destroyed by fire in 1698. The palace's tiltyard became the exercise ground of Horse Guards Parade, located behind the H...||11/18/2006||310|
|Following the War of 1812, the United States Army Corps of Engineers proposed that a fort be built on Hog Island Ledge, in Casco Bay at the entrance to the harbor at Portland, Maine. Named for the colonial proprietor of Maine, Sir Ferdinando Gorges, it was constructed to support existing forts, including Fort Preble in South Portland and Fort Scammel built on nearby House Island in 1808. Congre...||04/11/2007||1,055|
|The new horse is on Pewsey Hill about a mile south of Pewsey, to the east of the minor road that leads from the A345 on the edge of Pewsey to the village of Everleigh. It is a little above and a little to the left of the site of the old horse.|
In 1937, George Marples, an authority on hill carvings, happened to be in the area researching the old white horse at just the time that a committ...
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||705|
|Hovercraft Terminal Southsea UK|
This is the Southsea (Portsmouth) ternimal for the hovercraft service that runs between Southsea (Portsmouth & Southsea) This was the first Hovercraft passenger service in the world Founded in 1965, Hovertravel Limited is the world's longest established commercial hovercraft operator. The hovercraft, a totally new form of transport was invented in 1955 and...
|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
|Hovercraft Terminal Ryde Isle Of Wight UK|
This is the Ryde ternimal for the hovercraft service that runs between Southsea (Portsmouth & Southsea) & the Isle of Wight This was the first Hovercraft passenger service in the world Founded in 1965, Hovertravel Limited is the world's longest established commercial hovercraft operator. The hovercraft, a totally new form of transport was invente...
|Fort McHenry, the star fort that protected Baltimore in the War of 1812. Francis Scott Key, while watching the bombardment of this fort from a British ship, wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the flag flying at this fort.||08/13/2005||732|
|Fort Stanwix was a colonial fort erected in 1758 by British General John Stanwix, at the location of present-day Rome, New York. The fort guarded a portage known as the Oneida Carrying Place during the French and Indian War. A reconstructed fort has been built at the site by the National Park Service, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument lies in the center of the modern city.||12/11/2005||463|
|There is a horse constructed from concrete and painted white on The Mound in Heeley Millennium Park in Sheffield. Designed by Mandy Burton, it was created in April 2000 by park staff and volunteers to commemorate Barney, a horse which died as a result of an arson attack at neighbouring Heeley City Farm in 1995. Like most white horses, this one faces to the left. In May every year there is a rep...||07/12/2006||412|