|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Skagen Radar Station|
The 2D Military radar has been operational since 1978 and is part of NATOs radar coverage program.
|This seven-story tower was completed in April 1944 on a leased 1.94 acre site as a Base-End Station and Radar Station for Fort Dearborn. It is now owned by the Shoals Marine Laboratory of Cornell University. Searchlight positions #6 and #7 were located elsewhere on the island. To the north of the tower past the old USCG Boat House were the Army station barracks (Site 1B) and the Navy's Magnetic...||04/12/2007||770|
|The radar station to the east of Pointe du Hoc mistaken as their landing place by Col Rudder and his Rangers on the morning of d-day.|
The is was German Navy Radar station named "Imme" and had a Wuzburg Riese a Freya and a Seetakt Gema installed on the site.
The site was extensively bombed around D-day and not much remains. The SK building that housed th...
|This is RAF Neatishead that during the Cold War identified incomming Soviet aircraft and directed RAF fighters to intercept. It was used until recently but is now closed. In the top left of the site the orignial radar is visisble, and the red roofed building to the south of this is the entrance to the nuclear bunker which housed and protected the operators. An F-4 Phantom is the guard gate.||12/31/2005||621|
|This radar station came under the jurisdiction of the Luftwaffe, and over 200 officers and enlisted men served here The power for the radar and associated equipment came from diesel generators housed in underground bunkers. The earliest radar installed here was the Freya, which was completed in the autumn of 1940 and could only give a two dimensional picture: i.e. just the distance of ships or ...||01/17/2010||517|
|Along the coast of the North Sea, the Germans built several radar stations. On the island of Schiermonnikoog they built a radar installation of the Wassermann type. According to some sources, sabotage was the cause that an antenna was never installed, and therefore this Wasserman was never put into use. ||09/27/2006||917|
|Mulberry harbour at Arromanches, Normandy, in September 1944. These prefabricated floating harbours, constructed three days after the initial landings, were used to offload men and equipment at Gold and Omaha beaches. The harbour at Omaha beach was destroyed within 10 days, but the Arromanches harbour at Gold beach provided an essential landing base for Allies forces for 8 months, landing milli...||10/23/2008||998|
|The Tanegashima Space Centre (TNSC) was established in 1969, when the original National Space Development Agency of Japan (NASDA) was formed. It is the largest space-development facility in Japan (8,600,000 square meters) and is located in the south of Kagoshima Prefecture, along the southeast coast of Tanegashima. It is known as the most beautiful rocket-launch complex in the world.|
|In January 1963 Bloodhound SAGW (Surface to air guided weapons) were regrouped under Master Radar Station status at Bawdsey and Patrington but in June 1964 Bawdsey lost its Master Radar station Status and became a satellite to Neatishead. This status was regained in February 1966 following the disastrous fire in the R3 control centre at Neatishead.||06/01/2010||1,037|
|Owned and maintained by National Data Buoy Center|
24.63 N 81.11 W (24°37'36" N 81°06'36" W)
Site elevation: 0.0 m above mean sea level
Air temp height: 10.1 m above site elevation
Anemometer height: 48.5 m above site elevation
Barometer elevation: 36.6 m above mean sea level
|On 30 November 1944, at approximately 11:10 p.m., a US Navy Martin PBM-5 seaplane took off from Alameda Naval Air Station, California. The 8 men on the plane were heading to Kaneohe Bay Air Station, Hawaii. Sadly, shortly after take-off, at 11:25 p.m., the plane slammed in to Mount Tamalpais at an elevation of 1,450 feet. The men were all killed instantly. The site of the crash is obscure and n...||03/30/2006||1,220|
|Near the Hameau des Asselins lies the most interesting of German bunkers. This is a rare Mammut radar installation (named Gouesneraie), used not only for detecting shipping, but it also gave the range for the guns to either side of it. The bunker is quite a rare V143 type of which only four were built. The Mammut radar was called hoarding by the British, because of its size and shape. It sat o...||01/17/2010||462|