|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The cape's lighthouse |
Construction of the lighthouse was completed in 1772, and the structure rises 144 meters in height above the cape.
The cape is a popular tourist attraction, and the site features a monument with a crucifix bearing an inscription Portuguese:
Here, where the land ends and the sea begins...(Luis de Camões)
|Originally built in 1797 and reconstructed in 1857, Cape Cod Highland Lighthouse is the oldest, highest, and most important lighthouse on Cape Cod. The first light was from whale oil, then lard oil, then kerosene, then electricity in 1932. Automated since 1986, it is still a functioning U.S. Coast Guard light. Locally it is known as Highland Light yet on maritime charts it is officially named C...||09/03/2006||476|
|This is the Cape Lookout Lighthouse along the outerbanks of North Carolina.|
|Cape and Lighthouse - Spain. Admiral Nelson gained the victory over the Spanish fleet at Trafalgar in 1805 ||08/21/2005||416|
|Off the central Queensland coast between Rockhampton and Gladstone lies Curtis Island. The north-eastern end of this large island is Curtis Island National Park.|
A variety of vegetation types grows in the park from heath, grassland, stunted paperbark woodland and open eucalypt forest to extensive patches of dry rainforest.
An historic lighthouse is located at Cape ...
|ape St. Vincent (Portuguese: Cabo de São Vicente), next to the Sagres Point,is a headland in the municipality of Sagres, in the Algarve, southern Portugal.|
The present lighthouse was built over the ruins of a sixteenth-century Franciscan convent in 1846. The statues of St. Vincent and St. Francis Xavier had been moved to the nearby church of Nossa Senhora da Graça on Point Sagres.
|The actual Cape of Good Hope, the southwesternmost point of Africa, is this rocky outcrop, not the spectacular landtip a few hundred meters to the east with the lighthouse (but the latter is far more worth seeing...)||08/17/2005||1,380|
|Cabo da Roca ("Roca Cape" in English) is the westernmost point of mainland Europe. Is is located just a few kms west of Sintra, Portugal. The placemark shows the location of the lighthouse.||09/21/2005||598|
|Point Perpendicular and the lighthouse are one of Jervis Bay's most distinctive and powerful landmarks. In 1995 the Australian Maritime Safety Authority handed over management of the Point Perpendicular Lighthouse to the RAN, enabling the lighthouse and grounds to be managed as part of the Beecroft Weapons Range. The Point Perpendicular Lighthouse, built in 1899,is constructed of pre-cast c...||12/19/2007||602|
|Built in baroque style between 1840 and 1845, the lighthouse was deactivated in 1957. In 1981 and 1982 it was restored to shelter the Jangadeiro Lighthouse Museum.||09/24/2005||419|
|This is the famous lightouse in new caledonia called "Phare Amédée".||06/15/2006||577|
|The Cape May Canal was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during the second world war as a protected route to avoid German submarines operating off Cape May Point and to become part of the Intracoastal Waterway System (ICW). The canal extends about three miles from Cape May Harbor to the Delaware Bay. ||08/03/2005||422|