Fort Tyler: 1898, Suffolk County, Gardiner's Island.
Transferred to the War Department in 1898 and converted into a small coastal defense positions on the tip of Gardiner's Island at the entrance to Gardiner's Bay.
Closed in the late 1920s.
Status of batteries in 1921 was: Battery Smith, 2 - 8" Disappearing, 2 - 5" Pedestal.
Located approximately 250 miles southwest of Anchorage, Kodiak Island was one of the major centers of Alaskan military activity during World War Two. Facilities on the island included several airfields, a Naval operating base and several other installations.
To protect this important harbor the Coast Artillery Installed a total of 8 major gun batteries, ranging in caliber from 8...
Located on Unalaska Island approximately 780 miles southwest of Anchorage, Dutch Harbor was the site of an important Naval operating base during the Aleutian Campaign of World War Two. To protect this strategic harbor from enemy attack, the Coast Artillery Corps would construct a total of seven gun batteries in the harbor, along with numerous fire control stations, searchlight positions and oth...
One can observe bomb craters, Japanese defensive positions, what appears to be a 'land-based' japanese mini-submarine, a converted naval 'rifle' converted to fire from on shore. Over many parts of the island, one can trace bomb craters -- especially in relation to US and Canadian assaults to regain the island.
To protect the German port town Emden, at the Dutch side of the Dollard the Germans built a few AA positions. This positions were at Nansun near Holwierde, Delfzijl and at the hamlet of Fiemel near Termunten. The latter, M.Fl.B. Termunten, was reinforced in 1944. It was the position of the 4./M.Fl.A 256.
Olympia (C-6) is the oldest steel warship afloat in the world. She was launched in San Francisco, California in 1892. She is similar to many early steel warships built in Philadelphia for the US Navy.
On May 1, 1898, Olympia devastated a Spanish
fleet at Manila Bay in the Philippines, beginning
the Spanish-American War. Olympia helped
catapult the United States into ...
This seven-story tower was completed in April 1944 on a leased 1.94 acre site as a Base-End Station and Radar Station for Fort Dearborn. It is now owned by the Shoals Marine Laboratory of Cornell University. Searchlight positions #6 and #7 were located elsewhere on the island. To the north of the tower past the old USCG Boat House were the Army station barracks (Site 1B) and the Navy's Magnetic...
Cockatoo Island is an island in Sydney Harbour, Sydney, Australia. The island was originally used as a prison and later developed as a shipyard. Many naval ships were built and maintained at Cockatoo Island Dockyard. The shipyard was closed during the 1980s. In late March 2005 the island was re-opened to the public for the Cockatoo Island Festival, after two and a half years of planning.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.