The McGuire BOMARC site measures approximately 2,500' long by 1,800' wide. It was built with a total of 56 individual BOMARC A missile launch buildings, and an additional 28 individual BOMARC B missile launch buildings. The McGuire BOMARC site was activated in 1959, and was manned by the 46th Air Defense Missile Squadron. It was initially armed with the first-generation IM-99A missile, and was ...
Here is a missile boat in dry dock, with the missile tube doors opened or removed. You can see the size difference compared to the attack sub in the next dry dock. There are a lot of ships at this port. Subs, cruisers, aircraft carriers, etc.
The South Uist Missile Range provides a controlled environment for the conduct of test and evaluation firings of land, sea and air weapons and the firing of in-service missile systems. The Facility can accommodate the operation of Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs).
It is run by QinetiQ (kinetic) on behalf of the Ministry of Defence.
On Feb 23, 1945, the 398th Bomb Group Low Squadron Lead in A/C 44-8476 led by Major Jean Miller, 603rd Squadron and Captain Kenneth W. Beckstrom, 603rd Squadron hit Lichtenfels, Germany with 13 planes from 13,000 ft. as a "target of opportunity." Lichtenfels is about halfway between Frankfurt and Eger, Czechoslovakia (now called Cheb).