|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Fort Caroline was the first permanent, year-round French colony in North America, founded in present-day Jacksonville, Florida in 1562, but it lasted only a few years before being obliterated by the Spanish. ||04/01/2007||287|
|Fort Popham is a coastal defense land battery at the mouth of the Kennebec River in Phippsburg, Maine. It is located in sight of the short-lived Popham Colony and, like the colony, named for George Popham, the colony's leader. |
Construction of Fort Popham was authorized in 1857, but did not begin until 1862 when the Union became nervous about the Confederacy’s newest naval ship d...
|The Fortazela de Santa Cruz was originally built on the site of earlier French fortifications from 1555. In 1567, the fortification was expanded into the key point for the defense of the Guanabara Bay. Called the Fortaleza de Santa Cruz da Barra from 1632 onwards the fort was progressively strengthened before completely remodelled in the mid-1760s. Additional fortifications was constructed on t...||11/24/2005||469|
|The second and third of the six Spanish-built Santa Maria-class frigates, based on the American Oliver Hazard Perry class design, of the Spanish Navy.||05/10/2009||1,553|
|Fort Charles is an old British fort on the island of St. Kitts. It's capture by the French was the reason for the construction of the more famous Brimstone Hill Fortress, which overlooks it. |
The fort today is not in good shape. It was abandoned by the British in 1854, and used from 1890 to 1996 as a Leper colony. Since then, it has been completely abandoned and is overgrown with...
|Gorgeous park with cabins, place to encamp and beautiful white sand beaches.||09/03/2006||458|
|Located on the spanish island Lanzarote is the no. 1 holiday and sports resort in the world. Club La Santa offers more than 30 sport facilities in watersport, indoor sport and outdoor sport.|
Famous sport stars use Club La Santa for their training.
In Club La Santa's homepage you can read more about the complex and see which stars are using the complex as training f...
|A pentagonal brick fort with both inner and outer walls, Fort Clinch lies to the northeast of Fernandina Beach at the entrance to the Cumberland Sound. The fort was briefly re-activated in 1898 for the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the State of Florida bought 256 acres that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. The park opened to the public in 1938.||03/29/2007||444|
|Tranquebar was a danish colony from 1620 to 1845 with Fort Dansborg to protect Tranquebar. It was the second largest fortification in the danish kingdom after Helsingoer (Elsingore) on the danish island Zealand.|
Tranquebar was sold to the UK in 1845.
|Fort Oranje was built after the Treaty of Paris in 1816 to protect the Dutch colony's burgeoning salt trade. It was used as the residence of the island's governor until 1836, when it briefly became a prison. A lighthouse was then constructed as salt production and subsequently seaborne traffic to the island increased. Now the fort serves as the office for the harbourmaster. ||04/03/2007||318|
|Historic Fort Wayne|
Still standing at the old fort are the original 1848 limestone barracks building, the 1845 Star Fort which was renovated in 1861, the restored Commanding Officers House and Spanish American War Guardhouse, two large parade grounds, several Officers houses and support buildings built between the 1880s and 1940s, and a mound constructed by Native Americans that is nearl...
|The 'Fort Napoleon' in Oostende is the only still completely intact Napoleonic fortress left in Europe. The 'Fort' stands in the dunes north of the city center. In 1810 Napoleon Bonaparte, then Emperor of France, had it constructed during the French occupation of Belgium. Five hundred Spanish prisoners of war had to build it together with bricklayers from the Oostende area. The fort was finishe...||01/30/2007||579|