Of 380 B-17s dispatched, all hit targets of opportunity, i.e., marshalling yards at Koblenz (87), Dillenburg (39), Limburg (37) and Darmstadt (24); bridges at Limburg (35), Koblenz (25) and a bridge over the Rhine River at Koblenz (13); and Wiesbaden (38), Wetzlar (14), the railroad line at Koblenz (13) and Wiesbaden Airfield (12); 4 B-17s are lost and 159 damaged; 3 airmen are WIA and 37 WIA. ...
On 20.05.1999 a huge British bomb from WW2 was found at the university of Koblenz during excavations for a new building.
On 24.05. the almost 2.000 kg heavy explosive ordnance was defused. An area of 1,8 km around the place of the bomb was evacuated (including two hospitals) - about 15.000 "Kowelenzer" (nickname for the people in Koblenz) had to leave this safety area for four...
Koblenz, the city at the confluence of River Rhine and River Mosel, was established more than 2,000 years ago by Romans. They called it "Castrum ad Confluentes" (castle at the confluence). The next 2,000 years the name changed (Confluentes -> Covelenz -> Cobelenz -> Coblenz -> Koblenz).
Later it was frequently the residence of t...
On 19.09.1944 at 15:03 119 B17 of 447th Bomb Group (mission: #146) dropped 244,3 tons of bombs on the marschalling yard Koblenz-Mosel and the Rhine bridges. A railroad AA-gun was also destroyed. The air raid caused 144 deads and 133 injured people.
About 40 years later a plaque was installed in the city to commemorate the victims of the bomb war.
Festung Ehrenbreitstein is a fortress on the same-named mountain on the right side of the Rhine opposite to the town of Koblenz. It was built as the backbone of the regional fortification system, Festung Koblenz, by Prussia between 1817 and 1832 and guarded the middle Rhine region, an area that had been invaded by French troops repeatedly before. The fortress was never attacked.
128 Lancasters of No 3 Group to the new target of Koblenz, making a night G-H attack. 2 Lancasters lost. This was a successful raid with most of the damage being caused by a large area of fire in the centre of the town. The British Bombing Survey Unit later estimated that 303 acres, 58 per cent of the town's built-up area, were destroyed.
The Castle Neideck was first mentioned in 1219
It was one of the biggest German castle complexes in that time.
On September the 14th in 1347, the lord of the castle, Konrad von Schluesselberg, was killed by an enemy and teh castle was destoyed
Today it is one of the most familiar emblems of the Frankonian Switzerland
Kaunas Castle is considered the oldest castle in Lithuania. About a third of the castle survives today.
Info provided by McMaster:
Kaunas Castle is located in Kaunas, Lithuania. Archeological evidence suggests that it was originally built during the mid-14th century, in the Gothic style. Its site is strategic – a rise on the banks of the Nemunas River near its confluence with...
Dating from 1299, this Medieval castle and Royal Residence developed into a fortress in 1592 after which it was rebuilt into a renaissance castle 1637-1648. Here you can see magnificent halls, the Castle church, the Royal Mausoleum and models of the castle. Government's Reception Rooms and Banqueting Halls.
The castle Linn is a water castle in the Krefelder quarter Linn. First, there was only one tower in the 12. century. To in 14. Century the castle was continuously extended. In the year 1702 the castle was completely destroyed by Prussian troops.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.