|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Kaunas Castle is considered the oldest castle in Lithuania. About a third of the castle survives today.|
Info provided by McMaster:
Kaunas Castle is located in Kaunas, Lithuania. Archeological evidence suggests that it was originally built during the mid-14th century, in the Gothic style. Its site is strategic – a rise on the banks of the Nemunas River near its confluence with...
|Kaunas fortress was one of four strongest fortresses build in Russian Empire.||03/11/2006||672|
|Aesica (with the modern name of Great Chesters) was a Roman fort, one and a half miles north of the small town of Haltwhistle in Northumberland. It was the ninth fort on Hadrian's Wall, between Vercovicium (Housesteads) to the east and Magnis (Carvoran) to the west. Its purpose was to guard the Caw Gap, where the Haltwhistle Burn crosses the Wall. The B6318 Military Road passes about half a mil...||11/03/2009||291|
|Fort Michilimackinac was built by the French on the south shore of the Straits of Mackinac in 1715 as a stretegically located fortified trading post. The fort was not built primarily as a military facility but as a link in the French trade system, which extended from Montreal through the Great Lakes region and northwest to Lake Winnipeg and beyond. |
In 1761 the French relinquish...
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||871|
|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
|Agra Fort is a UNESCO World Heritage site found on the right bank of river Yamuna, located in Agra city, Uttar Pradesh, India. It is well described as the walled city. It is about 2.5 km northwest of its more famous sister monument, the Taj Mahal. It was constructed by the third Mughal emperor Akbar on the remains of an ancient site known as Badalgarh. In 1556, after the battle of Panipat, Mugh...||05/21/2011||400|
|This Cross in historic St. Augustine sits just northwest of the old fort. A great spot for a picnic lunch after shopping through the old shops nearby.||11/09/2005||369|
|Fort McHenry, the star fort that protected Baltimore in the War of 1812. Francis Scott Key, while watching the bombardment of this fort from a British ship, wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the flag flying at this fort.||08/13/2005||881|
|Fort Stanwix was a colonial fort erected in 1758 by British General John Stanwix, at the location of present-day Rome, New York. The fort guarded a portage known as the Oneida Carrying Place during the French and Indian War. A reconstructed fort has been built at the site by the National Park Service, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument lies in the center of the modern city.||12/12/2005||627|
|Cronk ny Merriu (English: Hill of the Dead) is one of the remains of promontory forts in the Isle of Man. Close to Port Grenaugh, this site dates back almost 2,000 years. The bank and ditch of Iron Age date created a defensive promontory fort at Cronk ny Merriu. Later, a rectangular building of Norse style and layout stood here, part of a system of coastal lookout posts.|
|Fan Lau Fort can be dated to 1729. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 21m by 46m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. The fort was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.||10/24/2005||486|