Fort Liedot was built in 1810 by Napoleon the first to protect the Island of Aix from invaders. The island of Aix is between the Islands of Oleron and Re. Very close to "Island of Aix" is the famous fort "Fort Boyard".
During July and August 1796, Austria sent a fresh army under Wurmser into Italy. Wurmser attacked toward Mantua along the east side of Lake Garda, sending Peter Quasdanovich down the west side in an effort to envelop Napoleon. Napoleon was forced to abandon his siege of Mantua to meet the threat, and attacked the two armies in detail, defeating Quasdanovich at Lonato on August 3 and Wurmser at ...
Detail from an American aerial photograph taken on 18 April 1945. The photo shows the star-shaped outline of the Wehrmacht prison Torgau-Fort Zinna (upper right), Seydlitz Barracks and Zieten Barracks (upper left), which was the seat of the Reich Military Court from August 1943 to April 1945.
The outwork of Fort Zinna, built in 1810-1813 under the rule of Napoleon, was used as a ...
The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.
Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida.
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
Many considered this the only monumental "Porta" (literally door, entrance) in Milano. It has been built stronly wanted by Napoleon I and has been used by Napoleon III and Vittorio Emanuele II when they enter in Milan after being freed by the Austrian domination.
Interesting website that analyze the monument: http://www.dibaio.com/arcodellapace/
Fort McHenry, the star fort that protected Baltimore in the War of 1812. Francis Scott Key, while watching the bombardment of this fort from a British ship, wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the flag flying at this fort.
Fort Stanwix was a colonial fort erected in 1758 by British General John Stanwix, at the location of present-day Rome, New York. The fort guarded a portage known as the Oneida Carrying Place during the French and Indian War. A reconstructed fort has been built at the site by the National Park Service, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument lies in the center of the modern city.
Fan Lau Fort can be dated to 1729. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 21m by 46m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. The fort was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.
During the Roman period, it seems the island was connected to the continent at low tide. She finally took her current shape around 1500.At the end of the 12th century, France and England fought for the possession of the island. Until 1286, the island was located at the boundary between the French and the English "Saintonge", formed by the estuary of the Charente River.
During the Hundred...
Fort Warren defended the harbor at Boston, Massachusetts, for over 100 years. onstruction of the penatagonal-shaped granite fort began in 1833 and was fully completed shortly after the Civil War. Today, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation maintains the fort. An estimated 100,000 tourists visit the fort each year.