Photo taken August 11, 1944 from a Spitfire MK XI of the 14th Squadron of the 7th PRG.
As the seat of a factory of the powerful Messerschmitt corporation, Haunstetten became a wartime production center during World War II. Two large production centers, Werk III and Werk IV were located in Haunstetten, in what is now Universitštsviertel, although now these production facilities b...
This photo is from an aerial record compiled by the government in 1944 and shows Wanstead Park and surrounds on 7 August 1944. The H.E. and V1 damage to Heronry Pond can be seen, plus V1 damage in Tennyson Avenue and in Wanstead Park Avenue (just in East Ham but dealt with by Wanstead CD). What appears to be a heavy anti-aircraft battery can also be seen on Wanstead Flats.
The city was heavily damaged during World War II on D-day and its famed cathedral was almost destroyed by Allied bombs. During the Nazi occupation, the German Navy had its headquarters located in a chateau on the …cole Supťrieure de Commerce de Rouen campus.
111 Halifaxes and 26 Lancasters of Nos 6 and 8 Groups attacked the oil plant at Wanne-Eickel. A direct hit on a storage tank early in the raid produced dense cloud and smoke which hindered later bombing. A German report says that the refinery itself was not seriously damaged but that the GAVEG chemical factory was destroyed; it is possible that the bombers were aiming at the wrong target.
The train of Tank cars attacked at this point by 2 Group on the night of 6/7 August 1944 is completely burned out. No truck count is possible but the train is approx. 820 feet long. Both tracks are blocked temorarily.
The most severe bombing of Sofia ever occurred on March 30, 1944. Some 370 american heavy bombers flied upon Sofia destroying 3575 buildings. The casualties were relatively modest due to the preliminarily evacuation of the civilians. The target of the bombing, as the image clearly depicts, were neither military installations, nor armed forces, but the very historical downtown of the city of Sof...
On June 15, 1944, 297 planes (155 Avro Lancasters, 130 Handley Page Halifaxes, and 12 De Havilland Mosquitos) of the Royal Air Force bombed Boulogne harbour to suppress German naval activity following D-Day. Some of the Lancasters carried Tallboy bombs. As a result, the harbour and the surrounding area were completely destroyed. In August, 1944 the town had been declared a "fortress" ...
The Air Force was still slaving away at German oil. The Group bombardiers were still hot. With CAVU weather, no enemy fighters, and only slight flak the 461st got 39 percent of its bombs within 1000 feet of the center of impact on the oil storage installations at Szony, Hungary.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.