At the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, 18 July 1942, during reinstallation of her 14"/50 main battery guns. A large floating crane is alongside her starboard bow, placing a gun in Turret # 1. Guns are also visible in Turret # 3, whose top has not yet been put in place.
Another single turret with a pair of 305/50mm guns. These two came from the battleship Jamie I, but from the stern turret, and were also installed in 1941. They could fire armor piercing, semi-armor piercing and grapeshot shells, weighing 385.55 kg, with a charge of 127.70kg and maximum range of 22,000m.
At 08:06 a bomb from a Hiryū Kate hit between and to starboard of Turrets #1 & 2. The subsequent explosion which destroyed the forward part of Arizona was due to the detonation of the ammunition magazine, located in an armoured section under the deck. Most experts seem to agree that the bomb could hardly have pierced the armour. Instead, it seems widely accepted that the black powder m...
Deutschland (later re-named Lützow), was the lead ship of her class that served in the German Kriegsmarine before and during World War II. The ship was originally classified as a Panzerschiff ("armoured ship") by Germany. The Kriegsmarine reclassified them as a heavy cruisers in February 1940. The British initially nicknamed the three ships of this class "pocket battleships"...
City Zvolen - west of the castle, across the street. Follow the foot path to the bottom of the hill and check out the camouflaged cars from an armoured military transport train used during the Slovak National Uprising.
The Ferret armoured car, also commonly called the Ferret Scout car, is a British armoured fighting vehicle designed and built for reconnaissance purposes. The Ferret was produced between 1952 and 1971 by the UK company, Daimler. It was widely adopted by regiments in the British Army as well as Commonwealth countries throughout the period.
Vigia battery had two 305 mm /50 Vickers-Armstrong guns in one turret. It was built on a large concrete area with all the support facilities underneath, but these could not be visited. These guns came from the forward turret of the battleship Jaime I and were installed in 1941. They could fire armor piercing, semi-armor piercing and grapeshot shells, weighing 385.55 kg, with a charge of 127.70k...
Laid down on February 5, 1909, launched on February 5, 1912 and commissioned on October 23, 1913, Espana carried a main armament of eight 12 inch main guns mounted two per turret; one centerline forward, one centerline aft and one wing turret on each side that could fire to both sides and forward and aft. Espana was the name ship o...
A Crommwell tank is places as a memorial at the Bevrijdingstunnel (Liberation tunnel).
Text on the plaque:
in honour of
Major General G.P.B. Roberts. C.B.. D.S.O.. M.C.
commander of the 11th Armoured Division
Major General J.B. Churcher. C.B.. D.S.O.
commander of the 159th Infantry Brigade
Brigadier C.B.C. Harvey. D.S.O.
In July 1944, after two weeks and a half of offensive, the Ist American Army under General Bradley had lost 40,000 men for an insignificant gain of land. The hoped breakthrough still did not occur west of Saint-Lô. That was the reason why the Operation Cobra was set out. The manoeuvre must concentrate an enormous force upon one sector of the front line, to obtain the breakthrough. The assault s...
The 1st Foreign Cavalry Regiment (French: 1er Régiment étranger de cavalerie, 1er REC) is the only armoured cavalry regiment in the French Foreign Legion. It is one of two cavalry regiments of the 6th Light Armoured Brigade.
It has been stationed in Orange, Vaucluse since 1967, when it arrived from Mers-el-Kébir.
The construction work for Fort de Douaumont started in 1885 and the fort was continually reinforced until 1913. The fort is situated on some of the highest ground in the area. It has a total surface area of 30,000 square metres and is approximately 400 metres long, with two subterranean levels protected by a steel reinforced concrete roof 12 metres thick. The fort was equipped with numerous arm...
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.