In 1667 the Dutch raided the Medway, then protected only by Upnor Castle. This started a program of work to protect Chatham dockyard with the addition of Cockham Wood and Gillingham Forts which were built in 1669 and later in 1756 the Cumberland lines, defences around the dockyard, and Fort Amherst. Forts Pitt and Clarence were added in 1805 and then a ring of forts was built around the south, ...
Sandgate Castle was one of Henry VIII's Device Forts. Built in 1539 near Sandgate, Kent, its exposed location has led to much damage by storm tides. Converted to a Martello Tower in the early 1800s, it is now in private ownership.
Originally a farmhouse built in the 13th century, Hever Castle in Kent was the seat of the Boleyn family. It was converted into a manor in 1462 by Geoffrey Boleyn, who served as Lord Mayor of London. King Henry VIII's wife Anne Boleyn, although probably not born here, did grow up here for a time. After Anne was executed and her father died the castle came into the possession of Henry VIII wh...
RAF Swingfield is a former Royal Air Force station located 5.5 miles (8.9 km) north west of Dover, Kent and 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of Aylesham, Kent. The airfield was operational between February 1917 and 28 April 1945.
The Castle Neideck was first mentioned in 1219
It was one of the biggest German castle complexes in that time.
On September the 14th in 1347, the lord of the castle, Konrad von Schluesselberg, was killed by an enemy and teh castle was destoyed
Today it is one of the most familiar emblems of the Frankonian Switzerland
Gravesend Airport, located 5.0 miles (8.0 km) south-east of Gravesend town centre, Kent and 7.0 miles (11.3 km) west of Gillingham, Kent. It was operated from 1932 until 1956. It was initially a civil airfield, and became a Royal Air Force station known as RAF Gravesend during the Second World War, when it was under the control of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain. It was the ...
RAF Manston was an RAF station in the north-east of Kent, at grid reference TR334663 on the Isle of Thanet from 1916 until 1996. The site is now split between a commercial airport Kent International Airport (KIA) and a continuing military use by the Defence Fire Training and Development Centre (DFTDC), following on from a long standing training facility for RAF firefighters at the Manston base....
Kaunas Castle is considered the oldest castle in Lithuania. About a third of the castle survives today.
Info provided by McMaster:
Kaunas Castle is located in Kaunas, Lithuania. Archeological evidence suggests that it was originally built during the mid-14th century, in the Gothic style. Its site is strategic – a rise on the banks of the Nemunas River near its confluence with...
Dating from 1299, this Medieval castle and Royal Residence developed into a fortress in 1592 after which it was rebuilt into a renaissance castle 1637-1648. Here you can see magnificent halls, the Castle church, the Royal Mausoleum and models of the castle. Government's Reception Rooms and Banqueting Halls.
The castle Linn is a water castle in the Krefelder quarter Linn. First, there was only one tower in the 12. century. To in 14. Century the castle was continuously extended. In the year 1702 the castle was completely destroyed by Prussian troops.
Olavinlinna (known as Olofsborg in Swedish, which is St. Olaf's Castle in English) is a 15th century castle located in Savonlinna, Finland. It is the world's most northern medieval stone castle. It was founded by Erik Axelsson Tott in 1475 under the name Sankt Olofsborg as an effort to protect Savonia and control the unstable border between the Kingdom of Sweden and its Russian adversary. The c...
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.