|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The earliest forts were built to protect the colonists. As Portsmouth Harbor's importance increased with its Revolutionary War shipbuilding industry and the establishment of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1800, additional fortification was needed. |
At Jerry's Point there is evidence of earthwork fortification, circa 1842, and a stonework fort, circa 1873. Following the Spanish ...
|This five-story concrete tower with attached barracks was built on a leased site under the authority of the Boston Harbor Defense Command, and was jointly used as a Base-End Station for Fort Dearborn and for Fort Ruckman in Nahant, Mass. It is currently the Park HQ and Visitor Center for Halibut Point State Park. The roof deck was used for Boston's anti-aircraft intelligence service (AAIS OP 18...||04/12/2007||594|
|Fort Gilkicker is a Grade II listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It was purchased by Hampshire County Council in 1986 as part of a pro-active programme to secure the future of many of Portsmouth's defence works. The fort requires huge amounts of money to repair and conserve it. The barrack block has had a new roof and the fort was used until recently as a building store for materi...||12/14/2005||293|
|The land for Fort Foster, located on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in Kittery, Maine, was acquired by the federal government in 1872, making this fort the last of the "old" forts that were built in the Portsmouth area. |
In 1899 construction was started on new concrete batteries to help protect the Naval Shipyard in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War. In 190...
|Spitbank Fort was a Royal Commission fort built between 1867 and 1878, the smallest of the 3 main forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England. It is 162 feet across, with 1 floor and a basement, and armour plating only on the seaward side. It was originally planned to have armed with 9 10" eighteen ton RML guns on the seaward side, and 6 7" seven ton RML guns on the landward side. In fact 12.5"...||03/04/2006||336|
|S/W Overlay shows Portsmouth harbour at the year 1939.|
Potsmouth is a significant naval port for centuries, previously the world's largest naval base and home to many famous ships, Portsmouth has declined in recent years but remains a major dockyard and base for the Royal Navy.
|Image of Portsmouth harbour, contains ships etc.||10/12/2005||389|
|Here are all defense batteries and forts of Portsmouth.||12/14/2005||513|
|Automotive Hall Of Fame Dearborn MI|
|This structure, now used as a beach house, was completed in September 1943 on a government-owned 1.41 acre site as a Base-End Station for Fort Dearborn and Fort Foster. The second story observation level was intended for Battery 205 (B6 S6), and the first story level was for Battery Seaman (B11 S11). The roof, through a trap-door, was used as the anti-aircraft intelligence station (AAIS OP 10)....||04/12/2007||542|
|With a 170 meter high this tower gives his visitors a great overview of Portsmouth habour.||09/18/2005||421|
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||733|