|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Fort Gilkicker is a Grade II listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It was purchased by Hampshire County Council in 1986 as part of a pro-active programme to secure the future of many of Portsmouth's defence works. The fort requires huge amounts of money to repair and conserve it. The barrack block has had a new roof and the fort was used until recently as a building store for materi...||12/15/2005||339|
|The onset of World War II saw the need for increased protection of Portsmouth Harbor that could not be met by any of the other existing forts of the area. Two batteries of modern twin 6-inch guns (200-series), with a range of 15 miles, and a battery of twin 16-inch guns (100-series), with a range of 25 miles, were planned as part of the new defenses. Fort Foster only had room for one new batter...||04/11/2007||956|
|The land for Fort Foster, located on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in Kittery, Maine, was acquired by the federal government in 1872, making this fort the last of the "old" forts that were built in the Portsmouth area. |
In 1899 construction was started on new concrete batteries to help protect the Naval Shipyard in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War. In 190...
|The Kovno Ghetto and Ninth Fort in Kaunas rank in infamy with such better-known killing complexes as Bergen-Belsen and Dachau. The Nazis reduced the Jewish population of Kaunas from 37000 to 2500 in the course of three years.|
Built at the end of the 19th century, the fort was the ninth in a series of forts constructed by the Russians to defend the western border of their empire. During W...
|Spitbank Fort was a Royal Commission fort built between 1867 and 1878, the smallest of the 3 main forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England. It is 162 feet across, with 1 floor and a basement, and armour plating only on the seaward side. It was originally planned to have armed with 9 10" eighteen ton RML guns on the seaward side, and 6 7" seven ton RML guns on the landward side. In fact 12.5"...||03/04/2006||387|
|S/W Overlay shows Portsmouth harbour at the year 1939.|
Potsmouth is a significant naval port for centuries, previously the world's largest naval base and home to many famous ships, Portsmouth has declined in recent years but remains a major dockyard and base for the Royal Navy.
|Here are all defense batteries and forts of Portsmouth.||12/15/2005||569|
|Image of Portsmouth harbour, contains ships etc.||10/12/2005||434|
|With a 170 meter high this tower gives his visitors a great overview of Portsmouth habour.||09/18/2005||474|
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||871|
|Portsmouth Dockyard has been at the forefront of maritime technological developments since it was the site of the world's first dry dock in 1495.|
That was followed in the 1690s by the first stone wet and dry docks which can still be seen today, one being the home to HMS Victory and another to Mary Rose.
|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...