|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Location of Philo Farnsworth's Green Street workshop in San Francisco, California, the spot where electronic television was invented. Original lab is gone but a nice memorial and plaque still remain.|
From the Wikipedia: Farnsworth developed the vacuum tube television display, an idea he conceived at age 14 and developed at age 21. During a patent lawsuit against RCA his high school...
|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
|The land for Fort Foster, located on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in Kittery, Maine, was acquired by the federal government in 1872, making this fort the last of the "old" forts that were built in the Portsmouth area. |
In 1899 construction was started on new concrete batteries to help protect the Naval Shipyard in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War. In 190...
|A Confederate POW cemetery was created here in 1863. The POWs were held in Fort Delaware. Earthwork fortifications were also built here for ten (15-inch and 10-inch) Rodman guns on wooden carriages and platforms. Finns Point Battery was first located here in 1872. Only two gun emplacements and five magazines in the mortar battery were completed before construction was halted. Two 1872 magazines...||04/13/2007||617|
|A Palmerton fort completed in 1864 as part of the inner line of defence of Milford Haven together with Hibberston Fort on the opposite bank. It is comrised of two batteries, Moncrieff battery on the west side and Open Battery on the north. Abandoned at the start of the 20th century it was used again during the Second World War. Bought in 1957 by BP to be used as an oil terminal it was renovated...||03/22/2006||390|
|The Fort at Number 4 was the northernmost British settlement along the Connecticut River in New Hampshire until after the French and Indian War. Now known as Charlestown, it was more than 30 miles (50 km) from the nearest other British settlement at Fort Dummer. Construction began in 1740 by brothers Stephen, Samuel and David Farnsworth. By 1743, there were 10 families settled in a square of in...||07/01/2009||436|
|Fortín de San Gerónimo del Boquerón (Fort Saint Jerome of the Large Entrance) is a small fort located in the entrance to what is known today as Condado, Puerto Rico lagoon in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was built during the 17th century to replace a smaller battery (called El Boquerón) that stood at the easternmost end of the San Juan islet. The original Boquerón battery defended San Juan from at...||01/30/2007||384|
|This five-story concrete tower with attached barracks was built on a leased site under the authority of the Boston Harbor Defense Command, and was jointly used as a Base-End Station for Fort Dearborn and for Fort Ruckman in Nahant, Mass. It is currently the Park HQ and Visitor Center for Halibut Point State Park. The roof deck was used for Boston's anti-aircraft intelligence service (AAIS OP 18...||04/12/2007||588|
|"The Needles" new battery is a product of subsidence problems and concerns about the old battery.|
The main armanant composed of three BL 9.2 inch (233.7 mm) pieces and saw action during World War Two.
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|This Victorian coastal battery was used during World War 2 as observation point for the 'New battery'. It's main armanant composed of anti-aircraft guns.|
The battery today: It is currently opened to the public.
|A Polish coastal battery was part of the Rejonu Umocnionego Hel. The main armanant composed of two 75mm "Schneider" guns.|
During the Battle of Hel in 1939, this battery took down 30 German fighterplanes.
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|Fort Gilkicker is a Grade II listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It was purchased by Hampshire County Council in 1986 as part of a pro-active programme to secure the future of many of Portsmouth's defence works. The fort requires huge amounts of money to repair and conserve it. The barrack block has had a new roof and the fort was used until recently as a building store for materi...||12/14/2005||291|