|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Western end of the Island, first built up in 1898-99 as a defensive position protecting Long Island Sound and armed with two 12 inch and two 10 inch "rifles" on disappearing carriages. |
Operational during WW2 with a small airfield. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie which were sub-posts, and Camp Hero. Closed in the late 1950s and sold to private interests.
|Fort Segarra is an underground fort, part of the United States' defense strategies during World War II. Its purpose was to help protect a submarine base on St. Thomas. The war ended before its completion and the project was subsequently abandoned. Visitors to Water Island can view gun emplacements, walk inside tunnels and visit underground rooms. The observation deck on the roof of the fort off...||04/19/2007||796|
|Fort Liedot was built in 1810 by Napoleon the first to protect the Island of Aix from invaders. The island of Aix is between the Islands of Oleron and Re. Very close to "Island of Aix" is the famous fort "Fort Boyard". ||02/04/2007||387|
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||726|
|Fort Warren defended the harbor at Boston, Massachusetts, for over 100 years. onstruction of the penatagonal-shaped granite fort began in 1833 and was fully completed shortly after the Civil War. Today, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation maintains the fort. An estimated 100,000 tourists visit the fort each year.||10/22/2005||521|
|Fort Oranje was built after the Treaty of Paris in 1816 to protect the Dutch colony's burgeoning salt trade. It was used as the residence of the island's governor until 1836, when it briefly became a prison. A lighthouse was then constructed as salt production and subsequently seaborne traffic to the island increased. Now the fort serves as the office for the harbourmaster. ||04/03/2007||316|
|"Castle Island" is a 22 acre (89,000 m≤) major recreation site located in South Boston on Boston Harbor, owned by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. First named Fort William by the British, it was renamed Fort Independence by Americans in 1779 and is one of the oldest fortified sites in British North America. Long recognized for its stategic location, the fort helped p...||04/27/2006||519|
|Fort Charles is an old British fort on the island of St. Kitts. It's capture by the French was the reason for the construction of the more famous Brimstone Hill Fortress, which overlooks it. |
The fort today is not in good shape. It was abandoned by the British in 1854, and used from 1890 to 1996 as a Leper colony. Since then, it has been completely abandoned and is overgrown with...
|Fort Michilimackinac was built by the French on the south shore of the Straits of Mackinac in 1715 as a stretegically located fortified trading post. The fort was not built primarily as a military facility but as a link in the French trade system, which extended from Montreal through the Great Lakes region and northwest to Lake Winnipeg and beyond. |
In 1761 the French relinquish...
|Noord Holland district fort |
Photo From http://www.vanuitdelucht.nl/
Additional information from SpiderX22:
This fort is part of the defence line of forts surrounding Amsterdam. The official page for this fort is: http://www.fortijmuiden.nl/fe_engels/hoofdframe.htm
There is an impressive amount of information there, and the website can be viewed in English, German, a...
|Fort Delaware is a harbor defense facility built between 1848 and 1859 on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River and was the largest fort in the country.||03/16/2006||417|
|Fort Richardson is located to the northeast of Anchorage, AK and to the east of Elmendorf Air Force Base. The Fort has a Vet Clinic and is also used a great deal by the Alaska National Guard.|