Begun in 1640 and named in honor of the founder of Basse-Terre, Charles Houël, this large colonial fortress was the first building of the town to be erected. The visitor will find it well preserved, standing on a prominent hill in the town's southern end. The fort contains a historical museum and the graves of two famous French officers, General Richpance and Admiral Gourbeyre.
Based on a old IXe century tour, then reinforced by Charles Quint in 1554, the Miardou Fort was built in 1679 by Vauban. Today occupied by the french army we can't visit it. This fort was built to prevent a invasion by the Maures people.
The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.
The Karlskirche was commissioned by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI in 1715. The church is named after St. Charles Borromeo and was built by the Austrian court architect, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. Construction began in 1715, and finished in 1737.
Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida.
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
Built around 1533 at tha same place than an old fortress by Charles Tiercelin (Francois 1rst trusty companion), this castle is an excellent example of the first "Renaissance" style between military and residential purposes.
Edifié vers 1533, certainement à l'emplacement d'un ancien château-fort, par Charles Tiercelin, compagnon de François Ier, le château de La Roche du Maine est...
Fort McHenry, the star fort that protected Baltimore in the War of 1812. Francis Scott Key, while watching the bombardment of this fort from a British ship, wrote the "Star Spangled Banner" about the flag flying at this fort.
Fort Stanwix was a colonial fort erected in 1758 by British General John Stanwix, at the location of present-day Rome, New York. The fort guarded a portage known as the Oneida Carrying Place during the French and Indian War. A reconstructed fort has been built at the site by the National Park Service, and the Fort Stanwix National Monument lies in the center of the modern city.
Fan Lau Fort can be dated to 1729. Rectangular in shape, the fort measures 21m by 46m and its walls are built of semi-dressed stone and green bricks. The fort was probably abandoned around 1898 after the lease of the New Territories to Britain.