Eben-Emael was a Belgian fortress between Liège and Maastricht, near the Albert Canal, defending the Belgian-German border. Constructed in 1931–1935, it was reputed to be impregnable and at the time, the largest in the world. But on 10 May 1940, 78 paratroopers of the German 7th Flieger (later 1st Fallschirmjäger Division) landed on the fortress with gliders (type DFS 230), armed with special ...
This was the view across the harbour canal on 2 February 1940: behind the pedestrian swing-bridge for the dockyard personnel is the bulk of Tirpitz, with bridge foundations fitted and cylindrical tower mast mounted. Alongside her is the "Langer Heinrich" floating crane, while building cranes can be seen on the pier.
RAF Hornchurch is most famous as a battle of Britain airfield. It was known as Sutton's Farm during the First World War and was operational on 3 October 1915.
During World War II the station was a Sector Airfield of RAF Fighter Command's 11 Group, covering London and the south east of England during the Battle of Britain in 1940. By this time, its command centre was in Romford, and a sat...
Aerial view of the railroad and street bridge of Nijmegen.
Also included, a view of the city of Nijmegen, Holland, and the Nijmegen Bridge over the Waal (Rhine) River in the background. The city was hit by German and Allied bombardment and shelling. September 28, 1944.
Build as "Sprucol" in 1918 build by Short Bros., Ltd., Sunderland.
Sold in 1924 to the Anglo-American Oil Co., ( J. Hamilton ), London and renamed "Juniata".
Sold in 1934 to the Standard Auxilaire des Transports and not renamed.
Resold in 1936 to the Anglo-American Oil Co., ( F.J. Wolfe ), London.
1940 scuttled as a blockship at Scapa Flow.
06.1949 Salved and...