|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|St Eval airfield in June 1941. There are bomb craters within the airfield itself and beyond the perimeter track towards the bottom right of the photo. Note also the camouflage paint applied to the runway and to three large hangars and other buildings.||12/04/2009||693|
|Aguadulce Army Airfield (also known as Airdrome Aguadulce ) is a former United States Army Air Forces World War II airfield in Panama used as part of the defense of the Panama Canal. It was closed on 1 March 1948.|
Established on 1 April 1941, Aguadulce Airfield's mission was to defend the Panama Canal. Most of its operational history was that of an auxiliary airfield, hosting fig...
|Maleme airfield - the key to winning the battle for Crete. By the end of the first day Student had been receiving news of nothing but failure. Only at Maleme was there a glimmer of hope. The 3rd Parachute Regiment had secured neither Canea nor Galatas; the 2nd Parachute Regiment had captured a hill overlooking Retimo airfield, but had taken heavy casualties doing so; and the 1st Parachute Regim...||10/09/2007||1,162|
|High oblique photograph showing bombs bursting on newly-built hangars on the airfield at Desvres, France, during an attack by 6 Bristol Blenheim Mark IVs of No. 110 Squadron RAF, ('Circus' operation). ||08/17/2008||787|
|It was on this airfield of the Messerschmitt Factory Augsburg-Haunstetten on May 10th. 1941, at about 6:00 P.M. that Rudolf Hess took off in a Messerschmitt Bf 110, Messerschmitt to his famous flight to Scotland.|
Today the area is a part of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS).
Some of the airfield is still visible.
|The two photos below are reconnaissance photos taken on the 26th May, they are from file AIR 40/1402 in the National Archives in Kew. There is another photo in the file from 23 May and a comparison shows the build up of aircraft on the ground at Maleme. |
The second of the two photos is a blow up of the southern corner of the airfield. Some of them will be glidrs while others will be JU52...
|This airfield was originally known as Marlow Airport and was requisitioned by the Air Ministry in 1939 and opened in 1941 as RAF Booker. Later, it was developed as the civilian Wycombe Air Park. In 1965 the airfield was used for the making of "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and in 1975 "Aces High" was also filmed here. Since then it has been the backdrop to many a film seque...||02/17/2006||630|
|RAF Bury St Edmunds was a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 3 miles E of Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. The airfield, now in private ownership and much reduced in size, is still active and is known as Rougham Airfield.|
The airfield was originally and is now again known as Rougham as it is located north of that village between the A14 and the main railway ...
|Hardwick Airfield was one of the early heavy bomber airfields which was constructed for the RAF during 1941-42 in the East Anglian area. |
After the war, the field was turned over to the RAF on 25 June 1945. The station was immediately put into care and maintenance status, and was eventually closed in 1962. The main airfield buildings, hangars, control tower, etc, were demolished many yea...
|A few days after the occupation of Denmark, the local Danish authorities were informed by the Germans that an airfield was to be established on an approx. 600 ha. area to the south of Rom church.|
Work started that year and by 1941, the grass airstrips, the concrete taxiways, the dispersal bays, the ammunition and fuel depots and the anti-aircraft defences had taken form. The 43 c...
|There are references to Kahuku as an emergency field dating to the 1930's, but it was not until the United States entered World War II that the airfield was developed. Kahuku Army Airfield was classified as an auxiliary field and had a very short life span, from 1942 until it was closed in the late 1940's. Ground troops were stationed in the area to protect the airfield and man the shoreline fo...||10/28/2008||891|
|RAF Fairlop was first used during the First World War as a Royal Naval Air Station Training School.|
A small flying club used the site between the wars and there were plans to build a commercial airport, but these were later abandoned.
With WW2 a year old, construction of the concrete runways in the familiar "A" pattern started in September 1940 and were completed August 1941.