Seething airfield was built in 1942-43 by John Laing & Son Ltd., to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, the airfield had a main runway 6,000 ft. long aligned SW-NE and two secondary runways of 4,200 ft in length. The encircling perimeter track was three miles long.
Picture was taken by the 14th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron.
The 14th flew combat reconnaissance missions in the European Theater of Operations from, 12 August 194325 April 1945 and conducted damage assessment of Germany until 23 July 1945.
On 7 September 1942 South of the Bury Road, RAF Chedburgh opened, in No. 3 Group RAF Bomber Command. Major construction work was carried out by John Laing & Son Ltd., and built to Class A standard, the airfield had three concrete runways, 05-23 at 2,000 yards and 12-30 and 17-35 both at 1,400 yards. In October 1942 214 Squadron moved in flying Short Stirling bombers. Various squadrons follo...
Photographs of Helgoland taken before and after the attack by Bomber Command on 18 April 1945.
Left - 16 April 1945
Right - 19 April 1945
18th April 1945
969 aircraft - 617 Lancasters, 332 Halifaxes, 20 Mosquitos - of all groups attacked the naval base at Heligoland, the airfield and the town on this small island. The bombing was accurate and the target areas...
USS Midway (CVB/CVA/CV-41) was an aircraft carrier of the United States Navy, the lead ship of her class, and the first to be commissioned after the end of World War II. Active in the Vietnam War and in Operation Desert Storm, she is currently a museum ship at the USS Midway Museum, in San Diego, California.
Another base in Hamburg was the mostly similarly constructed "Fink II", built from 1940 to 1942 with an overall length of 139 m and a width of 153 m, containing five boxes of 22,5 m width each after the final completion. Fink II was built on existing land and then dug out from there, and the Ruesch-Canal which led to the basin was widened. The fifth box was not constructed until April...
There you see the construction site of the Dresdner Frauenkriche, which was reopened and sanctified on October, 30th in 2005 after 11 years of rebuilding.
The church was first built from 1726 - 1743 and destroyed in World War 2 (13th to 14th February 1945). It is the worlds biggest sandstone building and one of the most architectural-sophisticated churches in europe.
Wooden bridge which spanned the Mae Klong River (renamed Kwai Yai River in 1960). Construction began in October 1942, it was completed and operational by early February 1943. Both the wooden and the adjacent steel bridge were subjected to numerous air raids between January and June 1945
During World War II Peenemunde hosted the Heeresversuchsanstalt, an extensive rocket development and test site established in 1937, and headed by Wernher von Braun and Walter Dornberger. Between 1937 and 1945 two weapons, the V-1 and the V-2 were developed. Test-firing of the first V-1 occurred in early 1942 and the first V-2 first flew on October 3, 1942, from Prüfstand (Test stand) VII.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.