|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|One of the largest RAF stations in the UK. |
In January 2008 building work will commence for a new defence training academy
It will create up to 5000 jobs at St Athan with £14 Billion invested - which in monetary terms is bigger than the cost of hosting the 2012 London Olympic Games
The new training academy will accept its first intakes of recruit...
|Vickers VC-10 troop carrier in the Falkland islands||02/18/2007||503|
|A Vickers Viscount near the runway a Montevideo Airport||11/03/2009||319|
|Spanish 6"/50 (15.2 cm) Vickers-Carraca|
This battery had two 152.4/50mm Vickers 'V' in one turret, with gun performance the same as at Paloma Alta. These guns came from the Spanish cruiser Miguel de Cervantes and were installed in 1941. There is a fire control position directly behind the guns.
|Type: Canadian Vickers PBV-1A Canso A (28)|
Originally built as Canso for Royal Canadian Air Force as RCAF11005. By civilian owners changed registrations CF-NJB in Canada, F-ZBAY and F-ZBBD in France, C-FNJF back in Canada and since 2002 registred by Catalina Aircraft Ltd, Duxford as G-PBYA. Presently flies in marking of Vickers OA...
|The battery comprises three of these guns in single-gun mounts in open emplacements (one Vickers Ltd and two Vickers-Armstrong 1926 models); two were brought from Campelo Alto (Galicia) and their emplacement was completed in October 1941. During the proof firing, the second gun was destroyed by a premature explosion. Two more guns were brought from Favarix battery (Menorca) and were ready in Ja...||04/03/2007||745|
|Two red/white striped gliders stationed at St. Athan AFB, England.||06/08/2007||342|
|The crash site of aircraft X3941, a British Vickers Wellington Mark III bomber, which crashed on 30th January 1943. The aircraft belonged to Number 27 Operational Training Unit. It was on a night-time exercise from Church Broughton when the crash occurred. The aircraft was operating over hilly terrain around Beeley Moor, it struck a line of trees near Gladwins Mark and crashed into a field. Two...||11/15/2007||1,195|
|The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a two-seat supersonic long-range all-weather fighter-bomber originally developed for the U.S. Navy by McDonnell Douglas. The Phantom was used by the U.S. military from 1960 to 1996, and was the primary air superiority fighter and a workhorse fighter-bomber for the US Air Force, Navy and Marines during the Vietnam war. As of 2001 over 1,000 F-4s were in se...||06/08/2007||467|
|Another twin 6-in Vickers battery. These guns were from the cruiser Almierante Cervera and were installed in 1972. They are maintained in excellent condition and full working order.||01/16/2009||615|
|Two H.S.Tridents and a Panavia Tornado at the Teeside Fire Training Centre. There is also the fusealage from a Vickers Viscount 813||05/04/2009||243|
|This battery used to have four 120mm Vickers guns in a four position monobloc, with concrete covered magazines and storage an intrinsic part of the battery; it is rapidly becoming overgrown.||11/13/2008||403|