|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|the "camp des loges" was the place of the general staff of the american army in europe after the second world war.||11/16/2005||502|
|Situated about fifteen kilometres west of Paris, the Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye was originally a royal residence. Louis VI the Fat built the first castle there in 1124, Saint Louis had a chapel built in the thirteenth century and Louis XIV was born there. In 1862, Napoleon III decided to restore the castle and use it for the national archaeological collections. Renovated by Malraux, it no...||01/16/2006||339|
|Camp des Milles was a French internment camp, opened in September 1939, in a former factory. The camp was first used to intern Germans and Austrians, and by June 1940, some 3,500 people were detained here.|
Between 1941 and 1942 Le Camp des Milles was used as a transit camp for Jews before deportation. About 2,000 of the inmates were shipped off to the Drancy camp on the way to Au...
|The Camp de Rivesaltes is a military camp in France (also called camp Joffre) located on the territory of the commune of Rivesaltes in Pyrénées-Orientales in the South of France. The camp was also used for interning several civil populations from 1939 to 2007. The darkest period of the camp was in 1942 when 2251 Jews, including 110 children of the Rivesaltes Camp were transferred via the Drancy...||08/21/2009||410|
|At Springhirsch near Kaltenkirchen was from August 1944 to April 1945 a satellite camp of concentration camp Neuengamme. |
The prisoners had to construct a military airport.
About 700 of them died in this camp.
Some remains of the camp are still visible. There is also a small museum and a memorial.
|Salaspils concentration camp was established at the end of 1941 at a point 18 km southeast of Riga,in the country of Latvia. The Nazi bureaucracy drew distinctions between different types of camps. Officially, Salaspils was a Police Prison and Work Education Camp (Polezeigegfängnis und Arbeitserziehungslager). It was also known as camp Kurtenhof after the German name for the city of Salaspils. ...||01/05/2010||543|
|Ravensbrück was a notorious women's concentration camp during in World War II, located in northern Germany, 90 km north of Berlin at a site near the village of Ravensbrück (part of Fürstenberg/Havel). Construction of the camp began in November 1938 by SS leader Heinrich Himmler and was unusual in that it was a camp primarily for women. The camp opened in May 1939. In the spring of 1941, the SS ...||08/10/2007||2,451|
|A reconnaissance picture of the concentration camp Dachau near Munich made during WWII.|
In total, over 200,000 prisoners from more than 30 countries were housed in Dachau. Beginning in 1941, Dachau was also used for extermination purposes. Camp records list 30,000 persons killed in the camp, with thousands more who died due to the conditions in the camp. In early 1945, there was ...
|The camp Le Vernet (or Camp Vernet) served several functions between June 1918 and 1948:|
June 1918: Establishment of the camp to house French colonial troops during World War I. Short after the opening of the camp, it became a camp for German and Austrian POW's.
During the interbellum: Military depot.
1939: Reception camp for refugees Spanish civil war...
|Royallieu was one of the biggest transit camps of Nazi-Germany in occupied France. More than 45.000 people passed through it. The camp served between June 1941 and August 1944.|
Within Royallieu stood "Camp C", or the "Jewish camp". This part of Royallieu was an extermination camp on itself. The Jewish prisoners were starved to death.
|Treblinka II was a Nazi German extermination camp in occupied Poland during World War II. Around 850,000 people - more than 99.5 percent of whom were Jews, but also other victims (among them 2,000 Romani people) - were killed there between July 1942 and October 1943; the camp was closed after a revolt during which a few Germans were killed and a small number of prisoners escaped. The nearby Tre...||08/05/2005||1,586|
|The Chełmno extermination camp (German name Kulmhof) was an extermination camp of Nazi Germany that was situated 70 kilometres (43 mi) from Łódź, near a small village called Chełmno nad Nerem (Kulmhof an der Nehr, in German). This was in a part of Poland annexed by Germany as Reichsgau Wartheland in 1939. It was the first extermination camp, opened in 1941 to kill the Jews o...||08/09/2007||4,469|