|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|RAF Great Ashfield was a World War II airfield in England. It is located 10 miles east of Bury St. Edmunds and two miles south of Great Ashfield village in Suffolk. Great Ashfield Airfield is still in private use although much reduced in size. It was originally a Royal Flying Corps grass landing strip on this site in World War I, and before the USAAF arrived the RAF had been using it for traini...||09/09/2014||108|
|Montdidier Airfield on July 17, 1944. This was for bomb damage assessment. The airfield looks abandoned. |
FRIDAY, 14 JULY 1944
Mission 473: During the evening 131 B-24s are dispatched to hit airfields in France; 54 hit Montdidier Airfield and 39 hit Peronne Airfield; 9 B-24s are damaged. 40 other B-24s fail to bomb because of failure of blind-bombing equipment. Escort is ...
|Portion of a Luftwaffe airfield in a photo taken on August 6, 1944 from a Spitfire MK XI of the 7th PRG. |
There are some Heinkel He 177 in the splitter boxes at teh middle left side. Also four Fighter (Bf 109?) in the upper right sector, maybe it's the airfield security swarm.
|Semi-permanent heavy bomber airfield used by Fifteenth Air Force. Built by COE beginning in Sep 1943. One PSP runway with extensive taxiway and hardstand parking areas. Steel control tower. Opened 14 Mar 1944. Last combat operations flown in late April 1945. Closed on 4 Jul 1945. Today is agricultural area with no structures or any facilities in existence, however extensive evidence of land sca...||11/23/2009||664|
|Extent of damage from the 7th AAF raids on Yapís airstrip number one can be seen in this picture of the bomb-pocked airfield and parking areas. A great number of fighter planes are visible.||02/27/2007||468|
|RAF Lavenham (also known as Cockfield) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 7 miles N of Sudbury in Suffolk. |
Lavenham airfield was built during 1943. The technical site and administrative buildings were on the southern side of the airfield as were most of the dispersed temporary buildings which gave accommodation for 2,900 personnel. Concrete for th...
|Occupied by the Japanese. Assaulted by US Army during Operation Persecution, commanded by Brigadier General Jens A. Doe. April 1944 the 32nd Division landed without opposition in the Aitape area, in conjunction with the main landing at Hollandia. The object of this operation was to secure and hold the Tadji Airfield, and hold the flank and prevent Japanese from Wewak from attacking toward Holla...||06/20/2006||541|
|Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) B.8 near Sommervieu, Normandy, France. |
The airfield was completed by 22 June 1944 and was 1200m lond and 40m wide.
Some british squadrons (39 Recce Wing (400,168), 74 Squadron, 145 Wing (329,340,341)) were stationed here after the invasion.
|Aghione Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield in France, which was located approximately 27km southeast of Corte on Corsica. It was an all-weather temporary field built by the XII Engineer Command using Pierced Steel Planking for runways and parking areas, as well as for dispersal sites. In addition, tents were used for billeting and also for support facilities; an access road...||01/05/2010||273|
|Photographs of Helgoland taken before and after the attack by Bomber Command on 18 April 1945.|
Left - 16 April 1945
Right - 19 April 1945
18th April 1945
969 aircraft - 617 Lancasters, 332 Halifaxes, 20 Mosquitos - of all groups attacked the naval base at Heligoland, the airfield and the town on this small island. The bombing was accurate and the target areas...
|Attu Airfield is an airfield located on Attu Island, Alaska. It is located at Alexai Point and Casco Cove on Attu. Mountains are located to three sides of the airfield. |
The airfield was built by United States Army Engineers during World War II. The first USAAF aircraft to land at the airfield was a C-47 Skytrain, landing fighters crews at Alexai Point. It was used as a staging a...
|A few days after the occupation of Denmark, the local Danish authorities were informed by the Germans that an airfield was to be established on an approx. 600 ha. area to the south of Rom church.|
Work started that year and by 1941, the grass airstrips, the concrete taxiways, the dispersal bays, the ammunition and fuel depots and the anti-aircraft defences had taken form. The 43 c...
|Photo was taken July 19, 1944 by a Spitfire MK XI of the 7th PRG.||11/10/2009||606|