|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Temple Bar marked the westernmost extent of the City of London on the road to Westminster, where Fleet Street becomes the Strand. Until 1878 this boundary was demarcated by a stone gateway. Commissioned by King Charles II, and designed by Sir Christopher Wren, this fine arch of Portland Stone was constructed between 1669 and 1672. In 1878 the Corporation of London, eager to widen the road but...||02/14/2006||322|
|Hall of Justice, San Francisco: the opening sequence. Police Badge and the names of dead cops from 1878 to current year 1970||08/05/2005||430|
|Fuller Field in Clinton, MA, a modest baseball field in a location far from major cities, is the site where baseball has been played every year since 1878.|
|Royal Troon Golf Course was founded in 1878. It last held the British Open Championship in 2004.||12/10/2005||414|
|Maximo Gomez born 1836 - died 1905. As commander in chief of the Cuban revolutionary forces, Maximo Gomez y Baez led his armies through the defeat of the Ten Years' War (1868 -1878) as well as their triumph in the Cuban revolution against Spain 20 years later. ||11/01/2005||529|
|Tombstone's famous "Boothill Graveyard" was originally plotted in 1878 and was first named "The Tombstone Cemetery". It was used as the city's main cemetery until the current cemetery, "Tombstone Cemetery" at the end of Allen Street was opened up in 1884. Afterwards, additional burials would be added from time to time.||02/26/2007||566|
|'THE CORNISH MINER. The Kapunda Mine. This statue is a monument to the profound, role and contribution of the Cornish miner in the Kapunda and in due course in other mines in South Australia. The Kapunda mine, established in 1844, was the first successful metal mine in Australia and contributed greatly to the economic development of South Australia. Up to its closure in 1878 ore to the value of...||08/29/2009||368|
|The Agua Santa Nitrate Plant located in the Northern Canton of Tarapacá and owned by Mrs. Francisca Hidalgo viuda de Osorio, started to process nitrate with the "Paradas" system in the decade of 1850.|
In 1874 it became the property of the company Campbell Outram & Co. that reformed it to the Machine stage. Subsequently, as a result of the innovations made in Oficina San Antonio de Zapiga...
|Spitbank Fort was a Royal Commission fort built between 1867 and 1878, the smallest of the 3 main forts in the Solent off Portsmouth, England. It is 162 feet across, with 1 floor and a basement, and armour plating only on the seaward side. It was originally planned to have armed with 9 10" eighteen ton RML guns on the seaward side, and 6 7" seven ton RML guns on the landward side. In fact 12.5"...||03/04/2006||352|
|One of the finest examples of 20th-century architecture in Sofia and one of the symbols of the city, the magnificent Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built between 1882 and 1912 to honour the Russian soldiers who died fighting to liberate Bulgaria from Turkish rule in the war of 1878 under Tsar Alexander II. The famous church-monument is situated on the tree-lined square of the same name, which a...||01/16/2006||605|
|Herrenchiemsee is a complex of royal buildings on the Herreninsel, an island in the middle of Bavaria's largest lake, the Chiemsee, 60 km south east of Munich.|
The Neues Palais ("New Palace") is the most famous of these buildings and it is the biggest of Ludwig II of Bavaria's castles. It is in a sense a monument to his adoration of Louis XIV. In the great hall of mirro...
|Edward "Ned" Kelly, born between June 1854-55, hanged the 11th of November 1880, was an Irish Australian bushranger. He is considered by some to be a cold-blooded killer, by others to be a folk hero and symbol of Irish Australian resistance against oppression by the British ruling class and for his defiance of the colonial authorities in 19th century Australia.|
A child of a Irish...