|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|In the 3rd century this castle was built to protect the "wet limes" (River Rhine), the borderline between the Roman Empire and the German tribes. This fortress is 154 m wide and twice as long with 8 m high walls preotected by 28 towers.|
This castle is the best maintained Roman castle north of the Alps.
|The first reference to a castle in Iscar is from 939. The building that can be seen today however dates from the 15th century with a few added towers for artillery from the 1500s. The castle is currently being restored and there are plans to open a museum at the site.||10/20/2005||383|
|Olavinlinna (known as Olofsborg in Swedish, which is St. Olaf's Castle in English) is a 15th century castle located in Savonlinna, Finland. It is the world's most northern medieval stone castle. It was founded by Erik Axelsson Tott in 1475 under the name Sankt Olofsborg as an effort to protect Savonia and control the unstable border between the Kingdom of Sweden and its Russian adversary. The c...||02/03/2007||803|
|La Cour-Senlisse castle was built between 15 and 16th century It has a regular square plan with 4 towers in the corners, one of them standing as keep. |
It was incorporated in the Duché of Chevreuse in 1556 and was rebuilt partially mid 17th century to gain more comfort.
It is owned by The Duke of Luynes family since 18th century.
From the original castle are only remaining ...
|With the origin stronghold of Aurélien, companion of Clovis, the castle of Blandy les Tours was rebuilt in XVIe century by François II of Orleans which made a residence of pleasure of it. The princess of Clèves was maried here in 1572 in the presence of the future Henri IV. After the restorations of the XVIIe century, the castle was dismantled and converted into farm. The powerful keep draws up...||12/29/2005||347|
|The Castle of the Moors (Portuguese: Castelo dos Mouros) is located in the town of Sintra, Portugal. The castle is located on a high hill overlooking the town, being one of its most important tourist attractions. It is part of the Cultural Landscape of Sintra, recognised as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.|
As implied by its name, the castle is of Moorish origin, but the current b...
|Located on an isolate mound overlooking the valley of Allier river, La Poivrière castle stands proudly with its 13th century square keep and its five towers in "pepper pot" type covering. |
This architure is from the typical end of middle age style.
|XVth century castle, it was built by François d' Aydie by 1550.|
Having "supernaturally" escaped the religious wars, the Sling(Revolt) and the Revolution, then the restorations of modern era, this castle is one of the Renaissance houses the most authentic of Perigord. It hesitates between the austerity of the military architecture (moats, covered way, arrow slits, crenellations an...
|Coudray Salbart is an exceptional castle, initially by its fast evolution and changes of program which one affected over one short period (a little more of the quarter of century). Its architecture is deeply influenced by the Plantagenet uses: Profiles of the turns in fine, which one finds with the castle of Loaches before 1205. The principal part of the castle shows a flanked quadrangular encl...||01/07/2006||282|
|End of a peak, the castle of Rochebaron dominates the gorges of the Loire. Undoubtedly built by the lords de Rochebaron in XIe century, the castle was altered in XIVe and XVe centuries, before being abandoned under Louis XIV. The imposing ruins are composed of a quadrangular enclosure , flanked round towers and defended by a cylindrical tower on the side of the attack, and a triangular tower co...||01/04/2006||377|
|The De Redin towers are a series of small fortified watch towers on the island of Malta. |
They were built by the Knights of Malta.
Thirteen were built under the auspices of Grand Master Fra Martin de Redin. Though they are usually known as De Redin towers, towers to a similar design were built under his predecessor Grand Master Fra Juan de Lascaris-Castellar.
|The Two Towers are among the city's most recognisable landmarks. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the noble families of Bologna raised over 100 towers across the city. Of the 20 that survive today, the Asinelli and the Garisenda towers are Bologna's most famous and they situated at the end of Via Rizzoli. firstname.lastname@example.org|
DOES NOT WORK WITH GE3!