|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Remains of an 18th-century British fort and Fort Rodney, where the Admiral for which it is named spied on the French ships from its strategic viewpoint .||04/25/2007||677|
|Bewcastle Roman Fort was a Roman fort, built to the north of Hadrian's Wall as an outpost fort and intended for scouting and intelligence. The Roman name for the fort was Fanum Cocidi (as recorded in the Ravenna Cosmography), and means 'The Shrine of Cocidius', a deity worshipped in northern Britain. The remains of the fort are situated at the village of Bewcastle, Cumbria, 7 miles (11 km) to t...||11/03/2009||366|
|Hardknott Roman Fort was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. Its remains are located on the western side of the Hardknott Pass in the English county of Cumbria (formerly part of Cumberland).|
|Mamucium was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. It is also known as Mancunium. The remains of the fort are protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and are located within the Castlefield area of the City of Manchester, in North West England. Founded c. AD 79, Mamucium was garrisoned by a cohort of auxiliary soldiers and guarded the road running from Chester to York. A vicus, or civili...||11/03/2009||212|
|The Lac Qila, or Red Fort, was the palace of Shah Jahan's capital Shahjahanabad. It was built between 1638 and 1648. Today it remains one of the most impressive buildings in Delhi.||11/23/2005||700|
|Rutupiś was the Roman name for Richborough near Sandwich, Kent, which they founded after they landed in England in AD 43. A major port of Roman Britain (with Dubris, it was one of the start-points for the Roman road of Watling Street, which ran on to Canterbury and London), it has many phases of Roman remains, collectively known as Richborough Fort or Richborough Roman Fort, still visible today...||11/05/2009||371|
|The Bloodgate Hill Iron Age Fort is an Iron age hill fort in Norfolk, England, situated on a hill above the village of South Creake in the north of the county. The meaning of the name Bloodgate is unknown, but is taken from the road that runs from the fort to the village.|
The circular fort has a diameter of 210 metres, making it the largest of the hill forts known in Norfolk. Muc...
|Segontium is a Roman auxiliary fort, located on the outskirts of Caernarfon in Gwynedd, north Wales.|
It probably takes its name from the nearby River Seiont, and may be related to the Segontiaci, a British tribe mentioned by Julius Caesar. The fort was founded by Agricola in 77 or 78 AD after he had conquered the Ordovices. It was the main Roman fort in North Wales and was design...
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||831|
|Binchester Roman Fort (called Vinovia by the Romans) is situated just over 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north of the town of Bishop Auckland on the banks of the River Wear in County Durham, England. The fort was the site of a hamlet until the late middle-ages, but the modern-day village of Binchester is about 2 miles (3 km) to the east, near Spennymoor.|
The fort was established to guar...
|Castleshaw Roman fort was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. Although there is no evidence to substantiate the claim, it has been suggested that Castleshaw Roman fort is the site of Rigodunum, a Brigantian settlement. The remains of the fort are located on Castle Hill on the eastern side of Castleshaw Valley at the foot of Standedge but overlooking the valley. The hill is on the edge of...||11/03/2009||295|
|Pen y Gaer (or Pen-y-gaer) is the location of a Bronze Age hill fort near the village of Llanbedr-y-Cennin in the Conwy valley in North Wales.|
A natural defensive site, it had a long history of occupation, indicated by the complexity of the defences, which were amended over time. There are two Bronze Age cairns on the north-west slope, and nearby are extensive prehistoric and lat...