|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The two photos below are reconnaissance photos taken on the 26th May, they are from file AIR 40/1402 in the National Archives in Kew. There is another photo in the file from 23 May and a comparison shows the build up of aircraft on the ground at Maleme. |
The second of the two photos is a blow up of the southern corner of the airfield. Some of them will be glidrs while others will be JU52...
|Penshurst Airfield was an airfield in operation between 1916–36 and 1940–46. Initially a military airfield, after the First World War it was used as an alternate destination to Croydon Airport, with some civil flying taking place. The airfield closed following the crash of a Flying Flea at an air display in 1936, and was converted to a polo ground.|
It re-opened during the Second ...
|High oblique photograph showing bombs bursting on newly-built hangars on the airfield at Desvres, France, during an attack by 6 Bristol Blenheim Mark IVs of No. 110 Squadron RAF, ('Circus' operation). ||08/17/2008||729|
|These are the remains of the former airfield of Avedore.|
It was opened 1917 and was the beginning of the danish airforce. It was danish airfield until 1940 whe the german occupation began. The germans took most items with them to their airfield Vaerlose NW of Copenhagen. 1945 it was all over.
Today only 2 wooden hangars remains, the oldest in the world. The 10 smal...
|The airfield was founded in 1936, initially for recreational purposes. At the beginning of World War II German forces attempted to capture the airfield, in 1940, via an airborne landing during the Battle for The Hague. This failed however and Dutch forces recaptured the airfield. After the Netherlands eventually surrendered to Germany, the Luftwaffe made no use of the airfield during the remain...||09/19/2008||600|
|RAF Steeple Morden is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 3½ miles W of Royston in Cambridgeshire. |
Between 1940 to September 1942, Steeple Morden was a grass satellite dispersal airfield used by No. 11 Squadron of RAF Bomber Command flying Vickers Wellingtons from RAF Bassingbourn.
When the airfield was turned over for American use, St...
|There are references to Kahuku as an emergency field dating to the 1930's, but it was not until the United States entered World War II that the airfield was developed. Kahuku Army Airfield was classified as an auxiliary field and had a very short life span, from 1942 until it was closed in the late 1940's. Ground troops were stationed in the area to protect the airfield and man the shoreline fo...||10/28/2008||803|
|RAF Station Woodchurch is a former World War II airfield in Kent, England. The airfield is located approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) west of Ashford; about 50 miles (80 km) southeast of London.|
Opened in 1943, Woodchurch was a prototype for the type of temporary Advanced Landing Ground type airfield which would be built in France after D-Day, when the need advanced landing fields wo...
|A private airstrip prior to World War II, the Camden airfield hosted Nos 4, 15, 21, 32 and 78 Squadrons at various stages during the war, in addition to the Central Flying School between 1940 and 1942, and a British transport unit, RAF No 243 Squadron, during the latter part of World War II. By 1946, the airfield had been returned to its civil status.||03/21/2007||647|
|RAF Debden is a former RAF airfield in England. The field is located 3 miles SE of Saffron Walden and approximately 1 mile north of the village of Debden in North Essex. |
The airfield was opened in April 1937 and was first used by the Royal Air Force. During the early years of World War II, it was a Sector Station with an Operations Block for No.11 Group RAF during the Battle of ...
|RAF Staplehurst is a former World War II airfield in Kent, England. The airfield is located approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of Staplehurst; about 38 miles (61 km) southeast of London.|
Opened in 1943, Staplehurst was a prototype for temporary Advanced Landing Grounds built in France after D-Day, and as the Allied forces moved east across France and Germany. It was used by ...
|Ramsgate Airport was a civil airfield at Ramsgate, Kent, United Kingdom which opened in July 1935. It was briefly taken over by the Royal Air Force in the Second World War, becoming RAF Ramsgate. The airfield was then closed and obstructed to prevent its use. It reopened in 1953 and served until final closure in 1968. The site has now been redeveloped as an industrial estate.|