The first nuclear power plant built in the United States. Dresden 1 was activated in 1960. The three Dresden units are General Electric boiling water reactors. It is located on a 953 acre (3.9 km²) site in Grundy County, Illinois, near Morris, Illinois. It serves Chicago and the northern quarter of the State of Illinois. Dresden 1 was retired in 1978.
All photographs were taken on 18 April 1945, one day after the last big raid on the city.
Dresden was both an important garrison as well as a centre of military industry during the Second World War. The bombing of Dresden by the Royal Air Force and by the United States Army Air Force between February 13 and February 15, 1945, remains one of the more controversial Allied actions o...
The Fernsehturm Dresden-Wachwitz serves as a transmitting tower for television and radio broadcasts. Due to its visibility over large distances and its unusual form it has become a landmark of Dresden and the Elbe valley.