|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Photographs of Helgoland taken before and after the attack by Bomber Command on 18 April 1945.|
Left - 16 April 1945
Right - 19 April 1945
18th April 1945
969 aircraft - 617 Lancasters, 332 Halifaxes, 20 Mosquitos - of all groups attacked the naval base at Heligoland, the airfield and the town on this small island. The bombing was accurate and the target areas...
|This is an aerial photo taken in 1947. The deserted camp still remains. |
Niigata City was the site of two POW Camps during the Second World War. It was the first major influx of foreigners to Niigata in the history of the city.
Many of the POWs that were at Niigata Camp 5B worked on Niigata’s docks, loading cargo from Taiwan, Korea and Northern China to support th...
|RAF Steeple Morden is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 3½ miles W of Royston in Cambridgeshire. |
Between 1940 to September 1942, Steeple Morden was a grass satellite dispersal airfield used by No. 11 Squadron of RAF Bomber Command flying Vickers Wellingtons from RAF Bassingbourn.
When the airfield was turned over for American use, St...
|The Chikurachki eruption that began on 18 April 2003 continued to show signs of activity until June of the same year. Visualised here on the 26 April, the snow-covered landscape has become dramatically darkened by ash deposits from the 100 km long Chikurachki ash plume.||05/12/2006||595|
|On April 18, 1947 British engineers attempted to destroy the entire island in what became known as the "British Bang" (or "Big Bang"). 4,061 (another source claims 6,800) tons of surplus World War II ammunition were placed in various locations around the island and set off. The island survived, although the extensive fortifications were destroyed. The blast was listed in the...||10/24/2007||890|
|This was the April Fool's Joke by Google in April 2006!||04/04/2006||1,467|
|Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida. |
The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
|During the Second World War, the Historic Centre of Warsaw was completely destroyed. Aerial photogtraphs taken in 1935, 1947 and 1990 can be used to compare de different situations. In 1935, the Stare Miasto comprising the Market place with old houses and the Royal Castle are architectural heritage included in the ramparts of the city. All these vestiges were destroyed in 1944 as it is well vis...||03/17/2007||813|
|This seven-story tower was completed in April 1944 on a leased 1.94 acre site as a Base-End Station and Radar Station for Fort Dearborn. It is now owned by the Shoals Marine Laboratory of Cornell University. Searchlight positions #6 and #7 were located elsewhere on the island. To the north of the tower past the old USCG Boat House were the Army station barracks (Site 1B) and the Navy's Magnetic...||04/12/2007||584|
| 7474 Charmant Dr|
San Diego, CA 92122-5000
Announcement 07 April 1984
Groundbreaking 27 February 1988
Dedication 25 April 1993
|The two ships returned from the open Atlantic to the port of Brest, France, and then started preparations for their next operation. Gneisenau went into the dry dock for minor repairs. In early April, 1941, an unexploded bomb, dropped by RAF Bomber Command bombers during near constant air-raids on the ships, forced Gneisenau out of drydock, and she was anchored in the inner harbor. 22 Squadron o...||08/05/2008||1,736|
|Originally constructed in 1927, this installation has changed names and ownership several times. Originally established as Kawaihapai Military Reservation in 1927, it was redesignated as Mokuleia Airfield and was used by the Army Air Forces throughout World War II. The name was changed to Dillingham Air Force Base after the USAF was formed in 1947. The base was deactivated in 1948 and returned ...||10/30/2008||419|