|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Overhead aerial of the gun battery at Mont Fleury, behind 'King Red' Beach GOLD Area, after air bombardment, showing four medium casemates under construction. Note also the anti-tank ditch, (left), and minefields, (centre top). The battery consisted of four 12.2 cm Polish guns (one in a completed casemate) manned by elements of the German 1260th GHQ Coastal Artillery Battalion, and was captured...||08/17/2008||906|
|The Merville Gun Battery was a gun battery in Normandy, France as part of the Nazi's Atlantic wall built to defend continental Europe from Allied invasion.|
It was put out of action on D-Day in the Allied invasion of Normandy codenamed Operation Overlord. It was captured by D company of the Oxs and Bucks, a part of the British 6th Airborne Division.
|This Victorian coastal battery was used during World War 2 as observation point for the 'New battery'. It's main armanant composed of anti-aircraft guns.|
The battery today: It is currently opened to the public.
|A Twentieth Century coastal battery and associated pillbox, tank trap and military building are visible as a series of structures on air photographs. Some of the features are visible on the latest 1988-1993 Ordnance Survey vertical photography. These features represent the northernmost area of Blyth Battery, a coastal artillery battery situated on South Beach, Blyth. The battery was constructed...||09/30/2008||843|
|Two days after D-Day, maintenance and construction commando squadrons arrived in Normandy to build airstrips. Ground crews of No 144 Wing (including Nos 441, 442 and 443 Squadrons) were deployed near Banville as early as June 9th, 1944. Both air and ground crews had to get used to the dust and lack of comfort of their temporary facilities. The bases and support personnel of the other Spitfire a...||10/22/2008||898|
|During World War II the Japanese had an airfield located on this island. The island was garrisoned by the 41st Independent Mixed Regiment, 6th Independent Tank Company, and supporting units. During 1944 the Japanese facilities on the island were intermittently shelled by U.S. naval and bomber forces. Several Japanese cargo vessels were sunk near the island, and while at harbor. On June 1, 1944,...||05/13/2006||723|
|The Canadians under a deluge of shells |
On 6 June 1944, the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division commanded by General Keller landed in Normandy on Juno Beach. At 8:05 am, the Queen's Own Rifles Regiment set foot on this Norman beach in bad conditions : the amphibious tanks were late, and the preliminary artillery bombing left intact the German defences. The machine-guns and the weapons...
|Juno Beach was one of the landing sites for Allied invaders on the coast of Normandy during D-Day. It was situated between Sword Beach and Gold Beach. It is also known as the Canadian beach, as it was assigned to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division (with the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade). Juno Beach stretched from Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer on the east to Courseulles-sur-Mer on the west. Both assault ...||12/17/2008||1,529|
|"The Needles" new battery is a product of subsidence problems and concerns about the old battery.|
The main armanant composed of three BL 9.2 inch (233.7 mm) pieces and saw action during World War Two.
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|A Polish coastal battery was part of the Rejonu Umocnionego Hel. The main armanant composed of two 75mm "Schneider" guns.|
During the Battle of Hel in 1939, this battery took down 30 German fighterplanes.
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|A Confederate POW cemetery was created here in 1863. The POWs were held in Fort Delaware. Earthwork fortifications were also built here for ten (15-inch and 10-inch) Rodman guns on wooden carriages and platforms. Finns Point Battery was first located here in 1872. Only two gun emplacements and five magazines in the mortar battery were completed before construction was halted. Two 1872 magazines...||04/13/2007||599|
|The new Godley Head battery was the largest defence work undertaken in the South Island since the building of Fort Jervois, some 54 years earlier. The design was a direct copy of those used at the Motutapu and Palmer Head batteries. The new Godley Head battery's primary purpose was counter bombardment with a secondary one of supporting the examination battery at Battery Point. Counter bombardme...||10/15/2006||515|