|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The approach drive at Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium leads to the memorial, a stone structure bearing on its façade a massive American eagle and other sculptures. Within are the chapel, three large wall maps composed of inlaid marbles, marble panels depicting combat and supply activities and other ornamental features. Along the outside of the memorial, 462 names are inscribe...||10/01/2006||673|
|Captain T. A. Roberts flew sortie #2032 over Jülich, northeast of Aachen, on the afternoon of December 16, 1944. Earlier that morning about 50 miles to the southeast, the Wehrmacht had launched a massive offensive through the Ardennes forest and ignited what came to be known as the Battle of the Bulge.||06/25/2007||781|
|The Wilhelm Gustloff was a passenger ship built by the Blohm and Voss shipyards, and was named after the assassinated Nazi political activist, Wilhelm Gustloff. It was launched on May 5, 1937. On a mission to help evacuate Germans trapped by the Red Army in East Prussia, it was hit by three torpedoes from a Soviet submarine in the Baltic Sea on the night of January 30, 1945. The sinking remains...||01/21/2007||1,098|
|On December 27, 1944 the POWs that survived the attacks on the Oryoku Maru were loaded into the cargo holds of two ships - the Enoura Maru and the Brazil Maru - for the voyage to Takao, Formosa where they arrived on December 31, 1944. On January 6, 1945 the Japanese consolidated all surviving POWs into the holds of the Enoura Maru. On January 9, 1945 the Enoura Maru was still in the harbor at T...||06/25/2007||994|
|The national war cemetery of Sigolsheim contains the burials of 1.494 French soldiers who fell during the battle of the Colmar Pocket (20 January 1945 - 9 February 1945).||08/18/2009||224|
|Located 25 km southeast of Saba, 53 km south of Saint Martin and 12 km northwest of Saint Kitts, Saint Eustatius (Statia) is the second largest of the northern Netherlands Antilles with an area of 21 km². The island measures 7.9 km in length with a maximum width of 4 km, orientated northwest to southeast, and sits at the northern end of a shallow submarine bank that is also home to Saint Kitts ...||10/08/2005||659|
|The Saint Petersburg TV Tower is a 310 metre high lattice steel tower in Saint Petersburg, Russia. It was built in 1962 and was the first TV tower in the Soviet Union. It is used for FM- and TV-broadcasting.|
The Saint Petersburg TV Tower features an observation platform at a height of 191 m. The tower is located at 3 Ulitsa Akademika Pavlova. The nearest metro station is Petrogra...
|Attacked by the No. 99 Squadron RAF.||03/03/2007||619|
|XVth, XVIth, XVIIth castle. The castle is formed by several main buildings connected with round towers and a big keep, the whole is crowned with machicolation and with covered patrol ways. |
On January 8th, 1358, the castle was taken by the English. Afterward, it became the headquarters of the catholic strengths steered by the "captain Puymartin", Raymond de Saint-Clar, facing the...
|Saint-Malo during the Middle Ages was a fortified island at the mouth of the Rance River, controlling not only the estuary but the open sea beyond. The promontory fort of Alet, south of the modern centre in what is now the Saint-Servan district, commanded approaches to the Rance even before the Romans, but modern Saint-Malo traces its origins to a monastic settlement founded by Saint Aaron and ...||07/21/2006||482|
|The Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, 50.5 acres in extent, is situated in a beautiful wooded area. The cemetery was established on December 29, 1944 by the 609th Quartermaster Company of the U.S. Third Army while Allied Forces were stemming the enemy's desperate Ardennes Offensive, one of the critical battles of World War II. The city of Luxembourg served as headquarters for General G...||08/16/2009||294|
|Skamlingsbanken at Christiansfeld is the highest point in South Denmark with 113 meters.|
1843 it became national site and fiests were held for the danish national feeling.
In the center is a pillar remembering the danish cause but 1863 it was blown up by prussians but re-rised 1866. You can still see the damages from the blow up. Beside the pillar is the flag pole with the danish ...