The British Fort William Henry on the shores of Lake George, New York, was built during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) by Sir William Johnson as a staging ground for attacks against the French Fort Carillon (later renamed Fort Ticonderoga). It was part of a chain of British and French forts along the important inland waterway from New York City to Quebec. Fort William Henry was named for...
The first light in 1868 at this location was a light lit on the beach by Hans Martin Hanson. Hanson had purchased acres here and was concerned about ship safety.
The first official light established by the Lighthouse Service in 1887, was a brass kerosene lantern hung from a post on the side of a barn. Hanson was hired to care for the light and was paid $15 a month for his efforts...
Originally built in 1797 and reconstructed in 1857, Cape Cod Highland Lighthouse is the oldest, highest, and most important lighthouse on Cape Cod. The first light was from whale oil, then lard oil, then kerosene, then electricity in 1932. Automated since 1986, it is still a functioning U.S. Coast Guard light. Locally it is known as Highland Light yet on maritime charts it is officially named C...
Established in 1880 and automated in 1964 the 108-foot tall (32.9m) Wind Point Light continues to cast its guiding beam, albeit now an airport beacon, to the waters of Lake Michigan off the coast of southeastern Wisconsin. For more informaiton: http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/windpt.htm
Light Station Complex - Complexo da Estacao da Luz - the most important public subway system - Sao Paulo.
1) Light Station (Estacao da Luz) - One of the Oldest Train Stations in Sao Paulo.
2) Julio Prestes Station (Estacao Julio Prestes)
3) Light Subway Station (A Modern subway station)
4) Light Park (Parque da Luz)
The Cone Nebula (also known as NGC 2264) is an H II region in the constellation of Monoceros. It was discovered by William Herschel in 1785. The nebula is located about 800 parsecs or 2,600 light-years away from Earth.
The Cone Nebula is part of the nebulosity surrounding the Christmas Tree Cluster. The designation of NGC 2264 in the New General Catalogue refers to both objects a...
Located in Lake Park on the east side of the City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, North Point Light replaced a Cream Citiy brick lighthouse that was constructed in 1855, but too close to the edge of the eroding bluff. A cast iron lighthouse was erected in 1888. As it was not tall enough the light was placed in 1912 above a steel structure, raising its height to 23 meters (74') and the light's focal ...
The Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum was an antebellum home owned by Lieutenant Colonel Lewis Tilghman Moore, commander of the 31st Virginia Militia. Later, while commanding the 4th Virginia Infantry, Colonel Moore offered his home at 415 North Braddock Street, Winchester, Virginia, USA, to serve as the headquarters for Confederate Major General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.
It was built 1770-1774 by Sir William Chambers for Viscount Melbourne, as Melbourne House.Historically Albany was the best known and most prestigious set of bachelor apartments in London. The residents included such famous names as the poet Lord Byron and the future Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone, and many members of the aristocracy.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.