|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The Phoenix breakwaters were a set of reinforced concrete caissons constructed by civil engineering contractors around the coast of Britain in World War II. They were collected and sunk at Dungeness, the Cant, and Pagham , and then towed across the English Channel to form the Mulberry harbour breakwaters together with the 'Gooseberry' block ships.|
Several Phoenix breakwaters are ...
|A reconnaissance picture of the Mulberry Harbour made during WWII. |
The Mulberry harbours were two prefabricated or artificial military harbours, which were carried across the English Channel from Britain with the invading army and assembled off the coast of Normandy as part of the D-Day invasion of France.
The remains of Mulberry 'B' can still be seen off the Normandy coast at Ar...
|A Mulberry Harbour was a type of temporary harbour developed in World War II to offload cargo on a beach during the Allied invasion of Normandy.||09/28/2005||575|
|The remains of a beetle pontoon - a part of the mulberry harbours used during the World War 2 D-day landings. This pontoon and a few others litter the rocky shore of Eggerness, having broke free from moorings during a storm when they were being tested during the war. The pontoons were that badly damaged they were deemed unsalvagable and have remained on the rocks ever since. ||12/02/2009||335|
|Visible offshore is a sunken prototype of one of the three types of Mulberry Harbour tested here during World War II. This is the "hippo" type - a floating concrete caisson with a steel superstructure. |
Remains of a Mulberry Harbour Protoype (floating harbours used during the 2nd World War D-Day landings) pictured at an extremely low tide. The floating harbours were tes...
|A Mulberry Harbour was a type of temporary harbour developed in World War II to offload cargo on a beach during the Allied invasion of Normandy.|
By June 9, just 3 days after D-Day, two harbours codenamed Mulberry 'A' and 'B' were constructed at Omaha Beach and Arromanches, respectively. However, a large storm on June 19 destroyed the American harbour at Omaha, leaving only the Br...
|On D+1 the caissons, each with a 4 man crew, two sailors and an anti-aircraft gun emplacement, were towed to positions about a mile off-shore and handed over to a fleet of powerful harbour tugs which manoeuvred them into their final positions. The caissons' sea valves were opened until they settled at previously agreed depths. Each Mulberry was about a mile long and stood about 30 ft (9m) above...||10/22/2008||731|
|Rocky shore of Port Whapple with washed up beetle pontoons. The beetle pontoons were parts of floating roadways on Mulberry harbours used during the D-day landings. These pontoons were used during testing of floating harbour concepts in Garlieston village in the 1940s.||12/02/2009||476|
|Artificial harbour to offload cargo and vehicles after D-Day in Normandy.||07/06/2008||603|
|A image error shows the lighthouse on the Breakwater near Plymouth Sound twice. Also in the middle of the Breakwater is the Breakwater Fort. Building work on the Breakwater Fort started in 1860 and went on until 1880. It was part of the ring around Plymouth, coming between Fort Bovisand to the east and Picklecombe Fort to the west. It had 2-foot thick steel armour-plating, and a gun hoist (stil...||10/15/2007||1,492|
|A rather beautiful decoration near Sky Harbour International Airport in Phoenix, Arizona.||03/16/2006||575|
|Beetles were pontoons that supported the "Whale" piers. They were moored in position using wires attached to "Kite" anchors which were also designed by Allan Beckett. These anchors had such high holding power that very few could be recovered at the end of the War; the only known surviving one is displayed in a private museum at Vierville-sur-Mer.||12/05/2009||410|