|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|A private airstrip prior to World War II, the Camden airfield hosted Nos 4, 15, 21, 32 and 78 Squadrons at various stages during the war, in addition to the Central Flying School between 1940 and 1942, and a British transport unit, RAF No 243 Squadron, during the latter part of World War II. By 1946, the airfield had been returned to its civil status.||03/21/2007||547|
|In World War 1 the airfield was used as a base for maritime patrols and it played an important role in the Atlantic maritime theatre, until operational flying ceased in 1942. In 1942 the base became No.10 Radio School, a training base for aircrew wireless operators, a role it was to perform until the end of the war. The station closed in 1945. |
|There are references to Kahuku as an emergency field dating to the 1930's, but it was not until the United States entered World War II that the airfield was developed. Kahuku Army Airfield was classified as an auxiliary field and had a very short life span, from 1942 until it was closed in the late 1940's. Ground troops were stationed in the area to protect the airfield and man the shoreline fo...||10/28/2008||663|
|Bataan Airfield was a former wartime United States Army Air Forces airfield on Luzon in the Philippines. It was overrun by the Imperial Japanese Army during the Battle of the Philippines (1942). The airfield was located near the village of Lucanin, south Lamao in Bataan Provience.|
|Dispersed aircraft pens, consisting of characteristic E-shaped earth banks at St Eval airfield in 1942. Each pen has room for two aircraft. The placing of these pens attempts to conceal them; they are sited on farmland and are laid out along the lines of existing hedges.||12/05/2009||466|
|Vertical aerial reconnaissance view of Castelvetrano airfield, Sicily, the day before a successful attack was made on it by Malta-based Bristol Blenheims of Nos. 18 and 107 Squadrons RAF. A number of Junkers Ju 52 and Savoia Marchetti SM 82 transport aircraft, many of which were destroyed during the raid, can be seen parked around the airfield perimeter. ||08/17/2008||742|
|On 7 September 1942 South of the Bury Road, RAF Chedburgh opened, in No. 3 Group RAF Bomber Command. Major construction work was carried out by John Laing & Son Ltd., and built to Class A standard, the airfield had three concrete runways, 05-23 at 2,000 yards and 12-30 and 17-35 both at 1,400 yards. In October 1942 214 Squadron moved in flying Short Stirling bombers. Various squadrons follo...||09/09/2014||3|
|Note the many CG-4A gliders on the airfield.|
Welford airfield (also called Welford Park) was built as one of the many Operational Training Unit airfields for the Southern Counties and was intended originally as a base for No 92 group Bomber Command. The original design called for a standard RAF 3 runway layout with the main runway of 2000ft aligned NW/SE to be a satellite airfiel...
|RAF Hethel is a former World War II airfield used by the US during the Second World War (and briefly as an RAF station) in Norfolk, England situated located 7 miles south west of Norwich. |
Hethel airfield was constructd in 1942 for American use and was assigned USAAF designation Station 114.
From 14 September 1943 though to 12 June 1945, Hethel served as headquarters for t...
|RAF Davidstow Moor was an airbase near Camelford in Cornwall, United Kingdom from 1942 until 1945. Despite a few periods of intense activity it was one of Coastal Commands's lesser used airfields. |
The land was acquired in 1941 and construction took place in first half of 1942. Providing a three runway airfield with extensive dispersal area. Despite the moorland conditions constr...
|RAF Snitterfield is a former Royal Air Force station located west of Snitterfield, Warwickshire, England, 3.3 miles (5.3 km) north of Stratford-upon-Avon and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) south-east of Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire.|
Snitterfield was operational during the Second World War, the airfield was a class A airfield and had around 30 aircraft dispersals. The airfield was finished a...
|Seething airfield was built in 1942-43 by John Laing & Son Ltd., to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, the airfield had a main runway 6,000 ft. long aligned SW-NE and two secondary runways of 4,200 ft in length. The encircling perimeter track was three miles long. ||11/25/2008||174|